Threads: 31,502
Total Online: 62

Newest Member: edsallusa

Latest Threads

Old January 26th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #1
lakerat
Forum Member

Default Acetylene tank refill sticker shock

Its been awhile since I had to refill my B size acetylene tank on my cutting torch set. I don't use them that often as a sawzall, chop saw and 4 inch grinder does most of my cutting chores. Anyway it was $72.00 with tax and haz mat fee for a puny little B tank. Oxy will cost $40.00 to refill next time. I remember when $20 would get me an acetylene refill all day. I must be getting old and the world is passing me by.
lakerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Acetylene tank refill sticker shock

Just think how you would have felt you hadn't bought gasoline for the same amount of time. "I remember when $5.00 would fill my tank!" Yeah we are all getting old.

You gotta love v-rodders. 40*, poor brakes, 1/4 suspension working, 3+ body colors...but I drove it dammit!

I totally feel at home here.

project pics
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ster/?newest=1
Hapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #3
norville
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

be glad you had the tank.....

bob
norville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Jogyver
Forum Member

Here in the midwest - when the steel mills are not making steel the bottle gas prices go up . Argon ,acetylene are mill and oil refinery byproducts
Jogyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Tell me about it.
In 1960, It cost me a total of $12.70 to fill up a Large Oxy, and acetylene tank. When I first started driving gasoline was .17-20 cents a gallon. ( 1954) Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapster View Post
Just think how you would have felt you hadn't bought gasoline for the same amount of time. "I remember when $5.00 would fill my tank!" Yeah we are all getting old.

Last edited by Pop; January 27th, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #6
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I worked at Shell station in '69 to finance my college education. One of my customers, and older guy..likely about the age I am now...told me that when gas hit the outrageous price of 30 cents a gallon (it was 29.9 and when he was a kid it was ten of twelve cents a gallon) he was going to sell his big Ford station wagon. Sure enough, gas hit 31.9 a week or so later. One morning soon after, he rolled in on a Vespa scooter. He said he'd sold the wagon, bought his wife a VW and that the gas companies weren't going to screw him over, oh no.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #7
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

30 years ago this April I was working at a Sohio Station & gas was around $1.18 a gallon, my VW was sitting in need of an engine, so I was driving my "Bruise"
The Bruise was a blue 1970 Ford Galaxie 500, I put a bunch of black primer on the rusty spots, I met my wife while working there, been with her ever since, she named the car the "Bruise" it was loud (I got 6 tickets for loud exhaust) & it looked like hell, but it ran great, after that I started driving my VW again because gas started going up, I'd buy a pack of cigs for $0.74 & put the change in the gas tank so I could make it to the gas station in the morning

Yup we're getting old as everyday passes

Ron

http://metalmaster1766.webs.com/

Ron
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #8
TJM
Forum Member

[QUOTE=metalmaster1766;556816]30 years ago this April I was working at a Sohio Station & gas was around $1.18 a gallon, my VW was sitting in need of an engine, so I was driving my "Bruise"
The Bruise was a blue 1970 Ford Galaxie 500, I put a bunch of black primer on the rusty spots, I met my wife while working there, been with her ever since, she named the car the "Bruise" it was loud (I got 6 tickets for loud exhaust) & it looked like hell, but it ran great, after that I started driving my VW again because gas started going up, I'd buy a pack of cigs for $0.74 & put the change in the gas tank so I could make it to the gas station in the morning

Ron[/QUOT

I bought my first, new VW in June of 1965.I remember when I picked it up from the dealership, the salesman said they put 1 gallon of gas in it so I could make it home. I lived 14 miles from the dealership. Drove home, picked a couple buddies up, went to a local hamburger joint called Chuck-A-Burger ( McDonalds hat not been heard of). Drove around alot with the nice sunroof open and the A.M. radion blaring. Stopped in a gas stationand after the attendant, that's righ - attendant, filled the tank, cleaned the windshield, checked oil and tire pressure, finally was finished, I gave him a $5.00 bill and he gave me a $1.00 bill and some change from his change dispenser on his belt. I went in the service later that year and 4 years later when I came home from overseas, I went to work at that same dealership as a VW mechanic making an incredible $3.12 per hour. I thought that I had found the mother lode, died and went to heaven. I didn't know what to do with all of that unexpected wealth.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #9
TJM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop View Post
Tell me about it.
In 1960, It cost me a total of $12.70 to fill up a Large Oxy, and acetylene tank. When I first started driving gasoline was .17-20 cents a gallon. ( 1954) Pop
POP, we ain't getting older, but wiser. Hell, I bought ammo the other day for my Ruger .357 and it cost me $23.00 for a box of 25 rounds. That breaks down to $.92 a round or $4.60 each time I load. Gotta make each shot count,right?
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

[QUOTE=TJM;556836]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
30 years ago this April I was working at a Sohio Station & gas was around $1.18 a gallon, my VW was sitting in need of an engine, so I was driving my "Bruise"

Ron[/QUOT

I bought my first, new VW in June of 1965.I remember when I picked it up from the dealership, the salesman said they put 1 gallon of gas in it so I could make it home. I lived 14 miles from the dealership. Drove home, picked a couple buddies up, went to a local hamburger joint called Chuck-A-Burger ( McDonalds hat not been heard of). Drove around alot with the nice sunroof open and the A.M. radion blaring. Stopped in a gas stationand after the attendant, that's righ - attendant, filled the tank, cleaned the windshield, checked oil and tire pressure, finally was finished, I gave him a $5.00 bill and he gave me a $1.00 bill and some change from his change dispenser on his belt. I went in the service later that year and 4 years later when I came home from overseas, I went to work at that same dealership as a VW mechanic making an incredible $3.12 per hour. I thought that I had found the mother lode, died and went to heaven. I didn't know what to do with all of that unexpected wealth.

Yes, $3.12 per hour in 1969 was good money. In 1969, I was living in Pittsburgh, Pa. making $2.80 per hour working 50 hrs a week. I lived 2 doors from the VW dealership. In June, I walked over the dealership and bought a new 69 for $1868 drive away price, and that included the better interior, Chrome gravel guards, Radio, plate, taxes, etc. I walked home and about 2 hrs later they parked the VW in my driveway. I put 76K miles on it in 18 months. At that time gas at the local station was $0.24.9 Cents a gallon.
So for a hours pay @ $2.80 per hour, I could buy 11.2 gals of gasoline. So today with gas at 3.60 per gallon, I would have to be making $40.32 per hour for the same buying power for gas as in 1969. That is one of the reasons I tell my grandchildren that I had it a lot easier than they are having. BtW- My rent was $67.00 a month with all utilities paid except for electric. Pop
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #11
motherlodephoto
Forum Member

Wow, I am old... when I was in the Navy (68-72) you could get gas for .23 a gallon (gasoline) I used to drive my new 70 bug from Long Beach to Sacramento for 10 bucks each way...filling in Fresno (half way)... used to drive it every weekend...
motherlodephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #12
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM View Post
POP, we ain't getting older, but wiser. Hell, I bought ammo the other day for my Ruger .357 and it cost me $23.00 for a box of 25 rounds. That breaks down to $.92 a round or $4.60 each time I load. Gotta make each shot count,right?
IF, you can find it. Ammo is stupid expensive now thanks to everyone hoarding it. I wanted to run a few rounds through my AR the other day, so while I was in Dicks, I walked back to see what they had. No .22LR, and the only .223 they had was Hornaday at $29 a box. Two weeks before I bought Remington for $8 and gagged. Walmart had some .17hmr and a couple boxes of 22-250. The FLGS had nothing for anything.

IIRC, the last time I refilled my acetylene tank was around $45
Old January 29th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Pop
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I'm glad that I stocked up on ammo for my build long before the rush. Can't even find any .22LR in these parts, a few 12,20 gage and thats it. Wish there was a mad rush to buy VW's . :) Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidelbergJohn4.0 View Post
IF, you can find it. Ammo is stupid expensive now thanks to everyone hoarding it. I wanted to run a few rounds through my AR the other day, so while I was in Dicks, I walked back to see what they had. No .22LR, and the only .223 they had was Hornaday at $29 a box. Two weeks before I bought Remington for $8 and gagged. Walmart had some .17hmr and a couple boxes of 22-250. The FLGS had nothing for anything.

IIRC, the last time I refilled my acetylene tank was around $45