Newest Member: jessup

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old December 12th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Default The Hummock - UK '71 Bug Rod Project

This is the Hummock (so called as the number plate looks like it says Hummock!, and the thing is a rust hummock!!)

She's a '71 bug with 1600 engine in it, it's a bit of a shed, but it's nothing insurmountable. It's been sat in a garage since '95, so has a fair old bit of rust (floor pans and heater channels are basically non existent!), but on the plus side, the engine that's in it only has about 4000 miles on the clock as the owners fitted it just before storing it away, and it still runs beautifully!

Part the reason I got a tatty one, is so that I know for myself what state everything's in as I repair it all, but also so I won't feel too bad about chopping it into a rod.

The plan is for a pick up rod with a roof chop, so it should hopefully be an interesting build. First things first though, and that's recommission it for the roads!

It's rough, and it's most definitely a bit of a project in need of work, but it was very cheap, considering it's a tax exempt bug. For those of you outside of the UK, if this Beetle was made after 1973, I'd have to pay 225 / $370 a year just for the privilege of keeping it on the road, but as it's a '71, I get to save some money! Yay!!

Photos after I collected it:

Some photos of it now it's stripped out and I've been hitting things with a screwdriver!!

Did a bit more work to the hummock today. Stripped the wings off ready for the driver's inner wing to be replaced, and the passenger side one to be repaired, and swapped the old dead horn for an old working one (which incidentally actually sounds like the horn on Herbie ) and bought some replacement panels today as well.

Seeing as it'll eventually be a volksrod, running without any wings, I thought I'd take some photos and see what it looks like, and I'm definitely liking it, though it will need some much wider rear wheels when the rear wings are off as well!!!

And the new panels I got as well. Heater channels left and right, floor pans left and right, and right front inner wing. I'll need to get a front valance as well as mine has basically disintegrated on the underneath!!

On the downside though, I found that the hood / trunk / storage area lid thing hinge on the driver's side has rusted away to nothingness, so need to remove that, which is easier said than done, considering that the bolt that holds the hinge on is pretty much under the dashboard, and is rusted solid after being on there for 42 years!! Will have to see about drilling it out from the outside once the inner wing has been cut out. Joys of old cars eh?

Last edited by Crazy_C; April 20th, 2016 at 06:59 AM.
Crazy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #2
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Default Re: The Hummock - '71 Beetle Rod Project

If the amount of rust present is in direct proportion to the amount of fun working on your ride, you're in for great time! A really nice thing about our old cars of the VW sort, is the availability of replacement panels which actually fit. Looks like a great start!
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Hahaa, never thought of the relationship between rust and fun, I like that!!

Yea, I'm quite lucky in that I live within a 10 minute drive of one of the biggest air cooled spares and parts shops in the UK, and they're cheap too which just makes it all the much better.
Old December 12th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #4
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Lucky guy. I've been working with several panels on my Single Cab supplied by UK based Alan H. Schofield's Classic Volkswagen Restoration. Unlike a few I've dealt with in the past, the CVR panels are the correct thickness, and match the existing contours perfectly.
Old December 13th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Crazy_C
Forum Member

That must cost a bit getting parts shipped over. Nice one on having a single cab too. There's a couple of guys locally who have single cabs. Much prefer them to the doubles.

Have you heard of Type 2 Detectives here in the UK?
Old December 13th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #6
mkparker
Forum Member

Looks like a cool project Crazy C! Keep the pics coming!

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Cheers. Yea, will do as soon as I can get more work done. I work 5 days a week, so time is the bigger issue than anything else. I also have a trike project to get finished off at some point too!

Too many projects, not enough time!
Old December 13th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Spink
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Looks the part. Keep the pics coming. :)
Spink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #9
4tnuk
Forum Member

I started with rust like that, I cut it all away,pieced it back together and this is what I ended up with....don't give up ...one weld at a time!!!
4tnuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #10
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Ok, so the plan has changed already!! I've won a LHD 1979 Beetle on eBay. Body is in good condition other than the fenders having a couple of dents (ah well!) and it's actually an ex-magazine cover feature car too!! It's tidy, it's solid, but it has no engine.

Good thing it didn't have an engine, cos I got it cheap!!!

Going to pull the 1600 twin port out the Hummock, and put it in the new bug (which will also be known as the Hummock!)

I will be using certain parts off the old Hummock, with it being a '71, has the different doors and decklid to the '79. Makes life a lot easier, no welding needed. Just now I have a load of panels I don't need. Wonder if I can get store credit? LOL
Old January 6th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #11
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Is this going to morph into 'Son of Hummock?'
Old January 7th, 2014, 05:17 AM   #12
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Haha, more bastard son of Hummock but I'll be using the front panel and part of the spine from the Hummock on son of Hummock lol
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:47 AM   #13
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Got the new bug, it's good, but it's not as tidy as it originally looked in the photos. 3 of the 4 wings are shot, but they'll be coming off anyways, but it's not a bad bit of kit. A lot more solid than the original Hummock.

Next step is to get the engine in. Unbolted the engine and the bugger just doesn't want to come out. Been tugging and pulling on it, but it's just letting go. Will have to give it a shot when there's a bit more daylight available.

On Sunday, when I have a day off again next, I will see about removing the bumpers front and rear, removing the front wings and get it ready for fitting some hot rod headlamps to it.

Old January 8th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #14
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_C View Post
Got the new bug

I like those wheels granted I like things that look a bit more mechanical being a wacky steampunk in all I'm very curious to see where this ends up. Any thoughts to paint? or Style yet? Or are you just going to wing it Hey either way

Is it done yet?
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #15
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Cheers, the wheels weren't even what I was looking for. I was going to band the original rear steels to about 7 or 8 inches wide, but I was on eBay looking for wheels for my mustang, it suggested searching for centerline wheels n I spotted them cheap.

Style wise, to start off with I'll lose the front wings, put some motorbike indicators in the wiring loom holes, and get some Caterham style 7" round headlights to mount, paint it matt black. The rear will be loosing the mudguards, and I'll make a set of brackets up to hold the number plate behind one wheel and a show plate behind the other, with lights above them. That way the number plates will be my rear mudguards too!

Unsure on how / if I'll do front mudguards yet.
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #16
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Cheers, the wheels weren't even what I was looking for. I was going to band the original rear steels to about 7 or 8 inches wide, but I was on eBay looking for wheels for my mustang, it suggested searching for centerline wheels n I spotted them cheap.

Style wise, to start off with I'll lose the front wings, put some motorbike indicators in the wiring loom holes, and get some Caterham style 7" round headlights to mount, paint it matt black. The rear will be loosing the mudguards, and I'll make a set of brackets up to hold the number plate behind one wheel and a show plate behind the other, with lights above them. That way the number plates will be my rear mudguards too!

Unsure on how / if I'll do front mudguards yet.
How does UK law compare to Dutch style laws regarding fenders? just a sugestion Because i've seen them move the fender down so it fits towards the rear of the wheel barely visible on the top. Honestly I do like that look alot. I might even do it even though cars are allowed to go fenderless where I live.
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #17
Crazy_C
Forum Member

It's a weird one on arches here. You don't need them for the annual inspection (MOT) but you legally need them for use on the road (as a part of Construction and Use regulations). A lot of people don't bother with arches / mudguards at all. I'll use the number plates at the rear to keep it legal, front I'm still unsure on if I'll do anything. If I do, they'll be tiny! Lol
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #18
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
It's a weird one on arches here. You don't need them for the annual inspection (MOT) but you legally need them for use on the road (as a part of Construction and Use regulations). A lot of people don't bother with arches / mudguards at all. I'll use the number plates at the rear to keep it legal, front I'm still unsure on if I'll do anything. If I do, they'll be tiny! Lol
motorcycle fenders? trimmed down and painted black? Really depends on what sized wheels you're going for.
Old January 10th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #19
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Well seeing as I'm planning on using metal pressed licence plates on the rear for fenders, I might do something similar, just metal mudflaps mounted behind the wheels.

A nice bit of black painted checker plate will do the job nicely. Have that mounted on a bit of flat bar, and weld another bit of flat bar to the drum backing plate, and just have a couple of holes in it so I can unbolt the fenders and "forget" to reattach them but leave them in the car lol
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #20
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Well seeing as I'm planning on using metal pressed licence plates on the rear for fenders, I might do something similar, just metal mudflaps mounted behind the wheels.

A nice bit of black painted checker plate will do the job nicely. Have that mounted on a bit of flat bar, and weld another bit of flat bar to the drum backing plate, and just have a couple of holes in it so I can unbolt the fenders and "forget" to reattach them but leave them in the car lol
Damn us and our forgetfulness. We so forgetful.
Old January 11th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #21
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Damn us and our forgetfulness. We so forgetful.
What did you say? Sorry, I forgot.
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #22
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
What did you say? Sorry, I forgot.
I'm pretty sure it involved
Old January 11th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #23
Crazy_C
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
I'm pretty sure it involved
That seems easy enough to remember. Sawzall, welding mask, steering wheel. Or is it meant to be something else? Like cut, weld, drive??
Old January 11th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #24
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
That seems easy enough to remember. Sawzall, welding mask, steering wheel. Or is it meant to be something else? Like cut, weld, drive??
I don't know.. The cold weather has maybe affected my brain.. or the paint fumes, or the super glue, or even the gasoline
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #25
Crazy_C
Forum Member

I've been busy today! Pulled the 1600 twin port out the old bug, and been rodding the front end of the new bug too.

Old motor out:

This is looking better!

I also "assembled" the rear seat that was just thrown in the back of the bug. Something tells me there's a slight lack of back support. Guess I'll be making a back rest out of a sub enclosure then.