Newest Member: jessup

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old January 13th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #1
DrHax
Forum Member

Smile My build "Kaiser"

I know this shouldn't exactly be here, But I'm looking for input and advice. I have a 1968 bug named Kaiser. It's my first car and the POS PO did an absolute number on it. It was owned by hippies at one point and I know for a fact the bastard knew he was selling me a lemon But fast forward three years and me finding out about the rusted heaters, and everybody telling me to scrap it I'm here.

Thats pictures before I began wondering about rust after finding the battery tray had a hole in it it was covered with fiberglass...

After I found the fiberglass and expanding foam in the heater channels and doing a cheap sweater routine... NEVER ending fiberglass

Weight "Shed" during the operation

Now heres comes the part of today. Its below freezing but it feels wonderful because it was -28 last week with an average of -18? Yeah just plan freaking awful, But after dealing not being able to truly work on this car for 3 years I just got fed up and decided to take action today. Its most likely going to snow, but I don't care anymore.

Heres a picture of my garage... yeah there isn't one. So all of you who have access to garages. I'm envious.

Oh well I don't care anymore I'm getting crap done. because I want to chop this car.

Inside of the car. I already stripped it all in the fall Granted when I took the ignition it shot out and hit me in the face Thats why the wires are cut and the steering wheel is dangling

Also got the gas tank out.. good thing The fuel line was rubbing against something and was basically going to break soon

I need to remove the glass, from the doors. Probably a simple job for most of you, but me I've never done it before After a quick google search and using a vise grip on the window crank ( they're somewhere in the car ) I rolled it down and found this

PO replaced the window and regulator at one time... However... He screwed in the screws yet didn't screw them into the window. Oh boy this is going to be fun

Fifty minutes latter of freezing my hands and dropping the glass into the car 8 times I finally got it out. The vent wing was a total pain, but Now i know how to approach that.

LOOK MA' NO WINDOW!

One down! one to go the next one should be easier since I have a vague idea what to do!

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #2
alykat
Site Supporter

Default Re: My build "Kaiser"

Yes, this is the right place to display your project. In this thread viewers can give you suggestions, help, or shit...as circumstances call for it. Hang tough. Today is a day closer to spring than it was yesterday.
Old January 13th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #3
DrHax
Forum Member

Cool Re: My build "Kaiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alykat View Post
Yes, this is the right place to display your project. In this thread viewers can give you suggestions, help, or shit...as circumstances call for it. Hang tough. Today is a day closer to spring than it was yesterday.
Yeah we're suppose to get 3 inches of snow tonight. If we don't however.... I'm going to be chopping the fucker tomorrow. Ambitious yes? But i've been planning a volksrod for 2 years now, and honestly the thought turning Kaiser into one.. wasn't part of the plan until 3 months ago when I found out about the rust. I remember back in 2012 seeing the creighton bug with its slanted back windscreen

I said Man I would love to do that to a bug.

I just love that look of the chop, and after finding the rust and learning how to weld last year in highschool, and taking every metal working class, and then finding my bug wasn't "Cherry" MWAHAHAHA

I am going to replicate that chop.

Sorry for the images.. Blurry hot vw pictures. My phone doesn't like taking pictures inside of the house

Last edited by DrHax; January 13th, 2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #4
alykat
Site Supporter

I believe you will find the biggest challenge to be the base of the windshield. Once you get that, you will be well prepared to tackle the rest of the project.
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #5
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alykat View Post
I believe you will find the biggest challenge to be the base of the windshield. Once you get that, you will be well prepared to tackle the rest of the project.
Yeah thats why browsing through that hot vw was helpful. Theres a direct picture of it in the magazine. Which I saw how instead of the wipers and stuff dipping down like they do a regular bug they're actually raised up, the windshield part is then cut and laid back basically making instead of a L as it resembles now its all on one plane which was then laid back. My plans are to chop the rear tacking the doors to the car and just cutting front of the windshield from the roof. chopping it and lining it up tacking it up then dropping the front windshield down, welding that up, then build the door frames from cardboard molds for the shape

Old January 13th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #6
hotsauce
Forum Member

Wow, that's quite ambitious... Wouldn't catch me doing that in -18*. I suppose that's why I live in AZ.
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #7
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce View Post
Wow, that's quite ambitious... Wouldn't catch me doing that in -18*. I suppose that's why I live in AZ.
It was only about 30 something Also Screw all of you who aren't in a zone that has harsh winters. Granted its been nice and as I hoped the snow never hit us So yeah i'll be taking out the other window this time i'm not going to roll it all the way down.. I learned my mistake.

also hotsauce i'm going to be using the your forum for advice on the chop Those two pictures you took really gave me an idea of what to do If you have any advice let me know.

Last edited by DrHax; January 13th, 2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #8
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Damn... If ya really wanna step by step with somebody holding yer dick for ya way to go about it, hit up the "to lazy to search" function. In there you will (should) find a link to how they chopped the very car you are attempting to recreate. It would make your first chip a lot less stressful and possibly make it not your last...
Old January 14th, 2014, 12:37 PM   #9
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Dean View Post
Damn... If ya really wanna step by step with somebody holding yer dick for ya way to go about it, hit up the "to lazy to search" function. In there you will (should) find a link to how they chopped the very car you are attempting to recreate. It would make your first chip a lot less stressful and possibly make it not your last...
I've done enough research there. Just you know that random oddity crap that sometimes rears its ugly head I think i got enough of it planned out where it should work. Also really? I've seen the capella chop there, and a few others but none what this guy did. Heck theres no colour photos of it on the web Oh well w/e Worse case scenario I end up with a roadster that I turn into a truck or a two door coupe

Granted no chopping today temp dropped its highly windy and theres been over 3 inches of snow There will be another day. That car isn't going to drive off anytime soon Its been 3 years, another day, week or month won't affect me. By spring that roof is coming off.

Old January 14th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #10
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Soldier on brave warrior. The future is bright ahead! Warmer weather is on the way. It's only 29 days until pitchers and catchers report for spring training.
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #11
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Soldier on brave warrior. The future is bright ahead! Warmer weather is on the way. It's only 29 days until pitchers and catchers report for spring training.
Can't wait for ST to start!!!
1slo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #12
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo3 View Post
Can't wait for ST to start!!!
Pretty sure we all do. The car show scene here hates snow I'm pretty sure if MN didn't go salt crazy we'd still be driving around. I don't care what anybody says. that bridge in Minnepolis went down because of the going salt crazy. Oh beams magically rusted. Noo it can't be salt. SALT NEVER CAUSES RUST

Any way a few notches off of my anti salt rant Yeah spring time is going to be sweet.

Old January 15th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #13
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

we only use salt for margaritas and tequila shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:09 AM   #14
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
we only use salt for margaritas and tequila shots.
And BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #15
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
And BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did somebody say bacon

Old January 17th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #16
DrHax
Forum Member

Talking Re: My build "Kaiser"

its 9 degrees today with no wind or snow. Fuck it i'm working on my bug

First I had to snow blow and shovel.

See theres a bug there afterall!

removed the tarp off.. Seeing the roof in the first time since November

Got the glass out quicker this time. Would have been much faster if the window regulator wasn't different for this door then the other door
I'm wondering if the PO replaced a door at one point

Got done what I wanted today maybe If I get another clear day thats slightly warmer i'll be fucking insane enough to chop the bug before spring

Old January 17th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #17
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Weld in supports before hand - you will appreciate those later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #18
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
Weld in supports before hand - you will appreciate those later
There's some old sign posts on the property I'm gonna have to find them I don't have regular steel laying around to brace it with

Last edited by DrHax; January 17th, 2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #19
DrHax
Forum Member

http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24300
re-digging through the tech bin I do like that angled B pillar of the cappella chop. Not sure it'd fit well with the slanted back windshield. You'd get an odd triangle shape from the side glass.

Old January 17th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #20
DrHax
Forum Member

I got curious and did a quick photoshop

I kind've like it...

Last edited by DrHax; January 17th, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old January 18th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #21
nhtriker
Forum Member

I know that hind-sight is 20/20, but for anyone else attempting to work on something in freezing temps- If you can un-bolt a part, like a door , carry it inside. Work on it in comfortable conditions. A warm brain (and fingers) work better than cold ones. And I can tell you, you haven't learned to swear until you have lost a piece of specialty hardware in the snow!
nhtriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #22
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhtriker View Post
I know that hind-sight is 20/20, but for anyone else attempting to work on something in freezing temps- If you can un-bolt a part, like a door , carry it inside. Work on it in comfortable conditions. A warm brain (and fingers) work better than cold ones. And I can tell you, you haven't learned to swear until you have lost a piece of specialty hardware in the snow!
yeah I would rather I just have a freaking garage. We have a pull barn that could hold 8 bugs, 16 of you piled them like jenga blocks, but its only holding one... and a bunch of crap from the move. So my mother mexican "Show bug" is always in there while mine has always been left out in the snow. I'm use to dealing with cold weather but I did have a screwdriver I love disappear... I wonder if the snow ate it. I'll see it next spring if thats the case.

Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:21 PM   #23
DrHax
Forum Member

Got back my screwdriver today.. and a my favourite ratchet! The snow gods ate it when I was working on the drivers glass.... Also after a very hard last couple of weeks where today I was debating on whether to part out the bug or not.. debated with my girlfriend on the topic and after browsing craigslist and taking inventory of the parts I need... a light at the end of the tunnel came through. I can easily rebuild the car for what i have saved up easily.

Theres no way I could afford to chop the car, but I have my sights on something. we'll see in a few days what the results of that venture will provide.. if it does then i'll be happy for once with this sodding project.

Old April 5th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #24
DrHax
Forum Member

Well that fell through the floor... god damnit. Another moment of failure for this project,,

Old April 5th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #25
DrHax
Forum Member

Well after having the parts I wanted dropped to the ocean.. I'm going to take a different approach with this car. Basically I don't care anymore. I'm going to be getting a new wiring harness and brake kit.. Then i'll see if I want to order the volksrod in a box kit. The channels are iffy.. So i'll be lobbing them off and just welding a plate to the bottom.. if I want heat i'll make them from tubing later. I'll be doing my chop and make the side glass out of lexan. I'm just sick and tired of the never crap with this car.. and i'm sick and tired of people doubting me. Once this snow melts i'm kicking it into overdrive and chopping the god damn thing.