Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:57 AM   #1
theredbarn
Forum Member

Default Off Topic - Proud Papa Moment!
Re:: The little joys, raising a teenage daugheter,,,   

Last night my Daughter was awarded the Louis Armstrong Award for Jazz by her high school band director. These nationally recognized awards are given out to only one senior per school... very proud of her! She's worked awfully hard for this!

Also a good way to end my 10 year sentence, um, I mean volunteer opportunity, as a band parent!

Thanks for letting a proud dad interrupt your pursuit of Volksrods!
theredbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:04 AM   #2
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredbarn View Post
Last night my Daughter was awarded the Louis Armstrong Award for Jazz by her high school band director. These nationally recognized awards are given out to only one senior per school... very proud of her! She's worked awfully hard for this!

Also a good way to end my 10 year sentence, um, I mean volunteer opportunity, as a band parent!

Thanks for letting a proud dad interrupt your pursuit of Volksrods!
Thats awesome! My girlfriend is in band right now so hearing stuff like this speaks to me. Glad to hear about this awesome success and ending of your "Sentence"

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:38 AM   #3
hotrodheb

Default Re: Off Topic - Proud Papa Moment!

Quote:
I so know what that's like! My son has been in band since 5th grade, and he is a Sophomore now. He has also been in a youth symphony for the last four years. My wife is on the board for the school band and I am on the board for the youth symphony. I also drive the instrument truck for all the marching band competitions.

Congratulations to you daughter on that honor!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:37 AM   #4
theredbarn
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodheb View Post
I also drive the instrument truck for all the marching band competitions.
Our school district is blind to the importance of music and arts... We (parents and boosters) have to foot the bill for everything but the teacher.

4 years ago I bought a 12' covered trailer just so there was something to haul instruments with! I've been the head cook at band camp, hauled instruments, chaperoned, led the HS band boosters for 5 years and even created drill for the marching band.

They've been a great group of kids over the years with a lot of accomplishments. I'm going to miss them - but not the work!
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:52 PM   #5
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Our school district is blind to the importance of music and arts... We (parents and boosters) have to foot the bill for everything but the teacher.

4 years ago I bought a 12' covered trailer just so there was something to haul instruments with! I've been the head cook at band camp, hauled instruments, chaperoned, led the HS band boosters for 5 years and even created drill for the marching band.

They've been a great group of kids over the years with a lot of accomplishments. I'm going to miss them - but not the work!
Holy shit! I thought saint paul schools were retarded but holy shit

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

Old May 24th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Jon
Forum Member

Very cool. Its so cool to watch them achieve something, especially when they are passionate about it and work hard for it. Most kids grow up nowadays with no sense of accomplishment or pride.

I am about to go through it all, for me its just starting.
My 10 yr old got accepted to an art school for Music. She is likely going to be playing stand up Bass which is what she wants (she is into Psycho Billy and Punk). She auditioned playing her Bass Guitar which they don't have in the program but she impressed them enough.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #7
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

I believe that Music, Shop and the Arts are extremely important in education. Congratualtions!!
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:58 AM   #8
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

First of all Congratulations to your daughter

I was in the band from the 4th grade to the 7th grade, I quite after we started the marching stuff, just wasn't into that, but I continued playing the saxophone for a number of years, even took lessons from a professional sax player for a couple years
I only put it down when the pads needed replacing, I still have it, someday I'd like to have it fixed & start playing it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Most kids grow up nowadays with no sense of accomplishment or pride.
I just said that same thing to my wife yesterday about kids growing up these days, it's a shame

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:08 AM   #9
DrHax
Forum Member

I've been in school long enough to see that the schools try to suck out any sense of accomplishment or pride... If they just view you as another brick in the damn wall to get funding money and to get test scores so they can get funding money... well you get my drift. Schools don't seem to teach much it was only the country school where I actually learned shit.. after dealing with the st.paul school where every teacher was bitching about something (students, wage, wage, their wage) compared to up here where we actually had shop classes and other things that really do give people options to find what they like. Tig welding my thing... I never would have ever found that in st.paul because all of the welding courses were cut 15 years ago.

Old May 27th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #10
theredbarn
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Tig welding my thing... I never would have ever found that in st.paul because all of the welding courses were cut 15 years ago.
I hear ya - I live and work in what is considered a 'rural" school district with a shipyard in it's back yard. You'd think that welding and metal work would be a regular item here... Not so - Our CTE program has lots of computers and beginning engineering courses, but we bus our kids 30 miles away to do real vocational training. And then only for a half of a day! Here, "we strive to make certain that all students are "college ready". Sadly when only 1/3 or less actually go to college after high school and of that only about 2/3 make it through 4 years and get a degree.... we've left a lot of kids completely unprepared for reality.

Off my soapbox now... Thanks - everyone - for the kudos!
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #11
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Teenage girls: a.k.a. hormones with feet!
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #12
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
Teenage girls: a.k.a. hormones with feet!
That's scarily accurate.

Old May 29th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #13
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
I've been in school long enough to see that the schools try to suck out any sense of accomplishment or pride... If they just view you as another brick in the damn wall to get funding money and to get test scores so they can get funding money... well you get my drift. Schools don't seem to teach much it was only the country school where I actually learned shit.. after dealing with the st.paul school where every teacher was bitching about something (students, wage, wage, their wage) compared to up here where we actually had shop classes and other things that really do give people options to find what they like. Tig welding my thing... I never would have ever found that in st.paul because all of the welding courses were cut 15 years ago.
I've been teaching 17 years now. I give all my students reality based projects or projects/ lectures that have a foundation in real-life situations. Some don't like it as they use college as a way to avoid reality, but others appreciate that I'm giving them the ins/ outs pros/ cons of the art and graphic worlds.
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #14
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
I've been teaching 17 years now. I give all my students reality based projects or projects/ lectures that have a foundation in real-life situations. Some don't like it as they use college as a way to avoid reality, but others appreciate that I'm giving them the ins/ outs pros/ cons of the art and graphic worlds.
Jeff
Wish I had a teacher like you where I was most of my life