Newest Member: b2oj48cd

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old November 14th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #26
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Default Re: tablescraps build

The taillights are going to blend perfectly with your build.

Hey Jeff, where did you pick up the LEDs you're using?
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #27
nshaddox
Forum Member

definitely want to rig up LEDs in there since its just the one tail light. I think it will look like a rocket booster from the side which is kinda funny but mostly cool.

have one of the front fender wells roughed out now, about to start the other side, hope I can get them pretty close.

started by building some sort of buck to check shape and fit. 2x4s are from some abandoned building in Detroit. plywood is from the shipping crate the English wheel came in. off cuts went straight into the wood stove. reduce reuse recycle.

then I cut a pair of blanks out of a sheet of steel. I marked out where the stations were on both sides roughly so I could keep things relatively consistent between the two panels and between checks for fit against the buck.

after working all day yesterday this is where I was with one side. slow process because I don't really know what I'm doing yet with the English wheel.

as usual its generally a good idea to stop 1/2 way through something to think about it over night some. here it is mostly finished now.

and held in place with some tape. fit to wood buck isn't great but I figured I liked the shape well enough and since I am building this car for myself, it doesn't have to totally match the initial form as long as I can make the two sides the same.

and next to a stock quarter panel for shape comparison. similar enough to convince those who don't know better that it might be a highly modified stock one. kinda what I'm going for.

Last edited by nshaddox; November 14th, 2015 at 01:19 PM.
nshaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #28
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Metal work is lookiing awesome. Looks like you've got the whole Shaping thing started with a Flare!
Old November 15th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #29
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Using found materials fits well with your project. The metal work is beautiful! Is the bus another project for your, 'spare time?'
Old November 15th, 2015, 01:34 PM   #30
nshaddox
Forum Member

The panel is really more of a "spare money" project than a "spare time" project. I don't really have much of either though so it's been on hold for a while. I did build up a transmission for it and also one for my zwitter when I was building the one for tablescraps, but that's the first I've really touched it in a year or so. That's a four year project so far, tablescraps is 5 or 6; logically I have to focus on completing tablescraps first.

Seems easier to build a car from scratch than to do all the metal work the panel needs...

Anyways, I worked on the passenger front fender well to the point that it's similar enough to the drivers side. Pictures tomorrow.
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #31
nshaddox
Forum Member

pictures as promised.

comparison shots first.

mock up shots

Old November 17th, 2015, 06:07 AM   #32
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Why can't I see any of the pics ?
Anyone else have this problem ?

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 06:58 AM   #33
alykat
Site Supporter

Showing up for me.
Old November 17th, 2015, 09:55 AM   #34
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

'Got 'em here!
Old November 17th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #35
nshaddox
Forum Member

got front beam adjusters welded in and installed dropped spindles along with new king and link pins. tried to install cb performance discs and ended up cracking an aluminum hub trying to install a bearing race. just sent it back because I suspect it might have been undersized but thats gonna keep the front end off the ground for a few more weeks probably. aggravating to say the least.

do any of you Michiganders have spare tie rods? think I might need a short side one. not even sure at this point if a stock steering set up is going to work for me, but would love to find one locally for mockup at least.

was working on front end stuff because I got overwhelmed by all the panels I have to make. now feeling beat down by the front end and will have to get back to English wheeling I suppose.

might be slow to make progress next few weeks as I have to work some odd jobs for some spare change and will be driving down to tx for thanksgiving.
Old November 17th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #36
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Nice work on the English wheel.

Pics show up for me in Internet Explorer.
Not in Firefox. No idea why.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 06:47 AM   #37
nshaddox
Forum Member

I've gotten a few more days work into tablescraps.

I want sides to be removable in case I want to do repair work or anything more easily in the future. trying to figure out where to put split lines has been tricky, but I think I have a solution in my head now.

a pillars will have an internal portion that supports the hood and top skin of the vehicle. sides will bolt to the pillars. have the internal pillars in place now.

started thinking about hinges for bubble top too but not sure if the idea in the pic is really going to work out. would need to do some fab work to use the location there since stock hinges wont give enough lift before they hit the body for entry.

then I made a hoopy thing.

its 1/2" by 1/2" by 1/16" square tube. I bent it by hand using one of the bead rolling lower anvils for my English wheel, so its not a perfect circle, but pretty damn close. I need to make a bunch more in order to have a nice frame for the bubble and another for that to mate to in the body and I don't know if I'm happy with the shape yet. if I square off the front corners some more it will give more room for the steering wheel, possibly follow the hood body line better, but deviate more from the original look I was aiming for. gotta think about it for a while. but its a good tool for visualizing overall vehicle shape.

Old November 24th, 2015, 02:07 PM   #38
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Okay, this guy is crazier than me and Hax put together! Love it!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #39
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
The taillights are going to blend perfectly with your build.

Hey Jeff, where did you pick up the LEDs you're using?

I have these on the back of my bike and they are powerful!
http://www.strobes-r-us.com/closeup....d=720&offset=0

They have a lot of other stuff that might work too.
Jeff
Old November 26th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #40
nshaddox
Forum Member

Thanks for the link, will browse around on there when the time comes closer to needing to figure out lights.

Craziness is just a measurement of how well people fit socially. I'm pretty crazy.

New hub on the way so hopefully I can finish up front end (minus tie rods which I still need) in a week or so.

Also thinking now that I will definitely square off the front of the bubble a bit more and probably increase the ID to 46" from the current 44" squaring off the front will make the bubble blowing a bit trickier I bet but it will make figuring out the hinge situation easier and make more room for the steering wheel so it's worth it.

Have a good thanksgiving everyone!
Old November 26th, 2015, 10:03 AM   #41
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Based on the brilliant (IMHO) design of your project, have you considered a name for your ride? I was thinking "Area 51."
Old November 26th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #42
alykat
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Based on the brilliant (IMHO) design of your project, have you considered a name for your ride? I was thinking "Area 51."
^^^^^^ Not bad !
Old November 26th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #43
nshaddox
Forum Member

You know, I like that. Tablescraps has been the working code name for the project, but perhaps once completed it won't be as applicable. Area 51 is pretty good.
Old November 26th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #44
nshaddox
Forum Member

You know, I like that. Tablescraps has been the working code name for the project, but perhaps once completed it won't be as applicable. Area 51 is pretty good.
Old November 26th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #45
nshaddox
Forum Member

double post. My bad.
Old November 26th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #46
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have a name for my volksrod too but I haven't told anyone yet. If I do the AWD volksrod coupe I was looking into, I have a name for that one too! Area 51 soooo fits!
Jeff
Old November 27th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #47
jaransonT3
Type 3 Nut

Take a look at the 4-bar linkage hinges used on the Focus and Fusion trunk lids. The motion of those might work really good for your bubble top.

Progress is looking good.
'69 Square (Panel wanna-be)
'70/'71 Fasty (Jane - the Lead Sled project)

My Home Page
CarArt by John Jaranson
2010 Type 3 Invasion
jaransonT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #48
nshaddox
Forum Member

Gotten a lot more done on a pillars and other bits but nothing really picture worthy. Also was informed that I was indeed correct about the hub being undersized for the outer bearing as the new one they were going to ship out was also undersized and they couldn't get the race in. So it's been a bit of a delay but new hub should arrive in the next few days and cb performance covered the cost. Awesome.

Obtained a title for this project as well and a matching body tag and stamped VIN for tunnel. Kind of an important piece. Will work until I can get bonded title paperwork sorted out. Also came with a front beam so I have tie rods now too.

Nothing much else to report. Been doing some odd construction type jobs for folks to get a bit more money to spend on metal for this project. Hands are nicely blistered and weather is still unseasonably warm. Having a great time all around and staying motivated to get shit done.
Old December 7th, 2015, 08:55 PM   #49
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Sounds good. Glad you got the paperwork together. That can be an absolute bitch.
Old December 11th, 2015, 07:08 AM   #50
nshaddox
Forum Member

picture time!

had a friend snap a shot with me in the car for an idea of what is working/isn't working with the design.

looks to me like the top might have to be bigger, further back, teardropped, or awkwardly tall for there to be enough head room. not sure what to do about that right now but i'll keep thinking about it. plenty else to do meanwhile.

had a couple days more to work on it and feel like i'm making good progress. swapped hoods yesterday because the one I started with was really rotten on the hinge support. new hood is a 67, so trim holes were easier to weld up. but it also had a lot of other random holes drilled in it and dents and stuff. got most of that roughed out so that its presentable again and installed it. seems like it fits pretty well which I had some concern about. might need to spread it a bit at the hinges to get it closer to how the old hood fit, but has a much better gap up top and isn't torn on the drivers side.

been trying to extend the inner structure of the body forward from the a-pillars. very tricky to keep everything the same from side to side and still follow the compound curves of the hood. even trickier to decide how the sides should attach.

here is where I am right now

inner structure looks like this on both sides. using 1/8"x2" flat stock because it seems to hold its shape pretty well. thinking this will get boxed in somehow once I am really happy with the shape and hood gaps.

hood gap is pretty nice already. just needs minor tweaking.

inside has just barely enough room to clear outer edges of hood. pretty happy with it.

also received replacement hub for the front disc brakes, so will probably install that and continue extending/building up the inner hood structure over the next couple of days.