- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old November 28th, 2015, 11:44 PM   #1
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums
Default approving member requests
Re:: being busy   

I know that I may not know the entire story - but I talk with a lot of VW people here in AZ as well as online in other forums and social media.

There is a common consensus and complaint that people have put in requests to become members and they never get approved - or grow tired of waiting.

One of my best friends and his wife have both requested approvals - and have not received a response for over six months.

I know that this site runs off of donations - I know that many of us make those donations and try to do other things to keep the lights on here.

But - I think it is about time we re-energize this place. I think that it is about time that we:

Make another run of T-shirts

Host some regional meet and greets or other get togethers

Approve peoples' requests to become members

Make another calendar

Re-start the CBOTM nominations

Maybe get some new guys on board that have a little time to help devote to make this happen

I like the friends I have made on here - I like the builds that are going on - I am hoping that I will get to start mine this year finally - and stop all of the nay-sayers, lol!

Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 04:50 AM   #2
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: approving member requests

Only one man can approve new people here, and he's been a bit busy.
As for the rest, make it happen.
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #3
mkparker
Forum Member

Maybe some delegation is in order. I've referred numerous people to what I think is the best Vrod site on the planet and I hear the same thing back...no one gets approved.

Obviously this is Steve's baby if he's happy with how it's going, I'll be happy. Just let us know and I'll quit sending folks here.

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #4
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I've heard the same from a lot of people I've referred here :/

I agree with above, this is Steve's baby to do with as he pleases, but maybe it is about time to delegate approval authority.. None of us are as active as we used to be, but not having fresh members is going to hurt us in the long run..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #5
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

So, what's involved in the approval process?
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 04:26 AM   #6
theVman
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Thumbs up Re: approving member requests

The site is run on "vBulletin 3.8.4", I think they are up to version 5 now.

Just need to go into the sites control panel and change from this - ACP>>Configuration>>User Registration & Profile Options. Set to Administrator Activation.
Just setup a user groups for activations/moderators/etc and add selected users to those groups. Im sure there are a few trusted users he could allow to assist in activations.

I found I had to read this forum every day just to keep up with the number of posts happening when I first joined, now I can go in once a month and catch up in a few minutes.
theVman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 04:56 AM   #7
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

I've asked to help approve members years ago.
I'll ask again.

It's not as busy in here as it used to be. When facebook took off , seems many left. This is still the first place I go every day.
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
Old November 30th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #8
jkien65
Forum Member

I don't have a computer at home, but when I am on my office computer I check in several times a day. I don't have a project that I can work on at the moment, my farm life has taken all my spare time and funds. I can help in any way possible.
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #9
theredbarn
Forum Member

I've been a Mod on superbeetlesonly.com for a number of years. We have a core group of about 10 volunteers that keep track of both the website (each has responsibility for a section of the forum) and we all try to keep a grip of the monster that is the facebook page. There are 3 that are allowed to approve new members on the forum, but all of us have access to approve (or block the spammers) on facebook.

I'm willing to help if you wish to make changes. Adding a few more hands at keyboards to moderate can make a lot less work for all.
theredbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 12:48 PM   #10
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Just heard from Bossman. A few little changes coming. Just be patient.

Sent from 17' up a pine tree.
Old November 30th, 2015, 08:36 PM   #11
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

I'll be needing a new shirt soon too! I could even design something. I guess being a teacher, graphic artist and screenprint designer might come in handy for once...
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 06:12 AM   #12
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Tell people to check their emails, with out that, they can't get back in. I've scanned the members list and people back to August and Sept. have been approved, if I can see their profiles, that means they have followed the email and been back.
He'll get to as many of them as he can after work. He found some things last night and fixed those.

If anyone wants to do up shirts, remember what happened the last time someone other than Steve did them, please don't do that. Swear for weeks shirts were ordered, took money and then never followed thru. I will look to see if that site Steve set up is still valid. IF I can find it.

I can do special auction projects but I'm gonna have to have s/h $ sent to me prior to sending, I just don't have it anymore. One of a few reasons I stopped doing alot of my arts.
I still have a dozen boxes of nice glass Christmas ornaments, but they cost to ship and insure. Being so fragile, I tend to over pack. NOT saying I can do anything now before Christmas, currently I'm out in the woods, ALOT!
I have some pieces of plexi to make some special things out of. Gimmie some time to get my barn cleared and After the first of the year, (hunting season over 1/10) I will start making things again. Art room still there.
That's about all I can do here. It might get me back to painting more often.
I see new members in Bold type so I assume people are still donating and becoming premium members. Haven't heard anything from Steve on that dept.

CBoTM, It fell out since not enough crazy projects being done, along with falling member participation around here.

And a tidbit on me, I'm not as 'bitchy' as I was in the past. Kid moved out and alot of my frustration with him. I'm on Facebook, but have reduced my list there since I've just decided enough of the bs.
Been missing all that was here.
Oh and I am mobile now, so I can check in from any where now
As for Robert and I doing anything vw, cars out back drastically reduced and pretty much what's left is going up for sale. Robert still does the occasional side job. Dragon still flying around. MGTD still collecting leaves by my carport. Bike/trike, trucks, now a tractor, blah blah blah~ (lol)

Carry on~
Old December 1st, 2015, 06:51 AM   #13
jkien65
Forum Member

We could look into TeeSpring. They do campaigns for shirts. I have bought many 2nd Amendment shirts from them. Good quality shirts. I don't know any more than that on how they work.
Old December 1st, 2015, 09:03 AM   #14
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

I just checked the print perfection link that was set up, a dog with the word Humph, can't find the page.....

Let Steve get done what he's doing this month, start working on shirts in January. I'd be more than willing to store and ship from here. Just think it's easier to order what you want in sizes you want instead of keeping several packed up that don't get sold. Plus I don't have the funds to do a start off . But time and a local p.o. are available.
Old December 1st, 2015, 10:00 AM   #15
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a PLAN. I know what you mean about reducing projects. In the last eight months I've given, sold and traded away four bike projects. On the art side of my life, the November '15 issue of Rider magazine ran one of my drawings on page nine. I've always liked the saying, "Life is what happens while you're making other plans."
Old December 1st, 2015, 10:34 AM   #16
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

That's awesome! You've been inked!
Old December 1st, 2015, 11:36 AM   #17
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

I'd design something and just give it to Steve. I'd even separate it into screen cuts for printing.
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 12:55 PM   #18
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

^ Now that's cool!
Old December 1st, 2015, 01:40 PM   #19
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

hey guys, I was on duty last night so stuck on the ship with no internet..

from the looks of the replies though, we are moving in a great direction :D

I want to say that at one point, Steve had an account at Cafe Press or something.. It was more expensive than normal but offered a lot of cool options.. I still have/use daily my set of coasters, I think they were like $8 each or something, I made one each of my favorite t-shirt designs..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 03:02 PM   #20
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

if nothing else, we know part of the reason the forum went stagnent... no new people could get in. hopefully we will have some new folks and projects to make fun o... errr, cheer on
1slo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #21
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo3 View Post
if nothing else, we know part of the reason the forum went stagnent... no new people could get in. hopefully we will have some new folks and projects to make fun o... errr, cheer on
Honestly, no, I don't think that is it at all.
In the last 4 yrs, it's gotten slower and slower participation here. It's depressing to come in at 8am any day of the week and I'm the only name showing. Here it is mid day and 2, with 48 lurkers.
Where did all the folks already members go?
Facebook. The volksrod group there is quite active. Even with folks who were active here. There now, not here. People are trickling back because builds can't be kept up with over there unless you 'friend' some one and watch them personally.
Tips and tricks can be searched here. Not there. Here it's all open. Impossible to keep up with anything in FB groups.
It was a great big fad that did better than myspace.
Yeah Steve's been busy. He's doing what he preached, get the motivation, have the ideas, go for it. Build your dreams. He probably felt like I did. Folks bailed, so why bother trying to keep up daily. He did what he could when he had time and for a bit, his comps were out. My computer home page and my cell is here. In the past 2 years though, open up, look around, see 4 threads with posts from 3days ago-yesterday, go wander facebook, go do something else.... Those that remained active didn't need any moderating, knew where to find us mods if anything came up.
Sorry, but you make it look like it's totally Steve's fault for reduction in activity around here. News flash, it's not.
Hell Brian, even YOU bailed out for a couple of years. Your excuse? Let's see if I can remember for you,,,, Got busy with a thing called Life!

And fyi, as of 11:38 a.m. EST, when I just checked the members list, the top/last member who registered, TODAY, has been approved and is "awaiting email confirmation". When that happened? But it's in his inbox waiting .........

Have an awesome Friday!
Old December 4th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #22
mkparker
Forum Member

I've definitely been hit or miss for the last couple of years. I pop on frequently to see what's happening, but I don't have much to add to the "volksrod" theme. I have brought this '64 back from the dead and have enjoyed actually driving a Vdub for a change!

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 11:28 AM   #23
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemyth View Post
Brian, even YOU bailed out for a couple of years. Your excuse? Let's see if I can remember for you,,,, Got busy with a thing called Life!

Have an awesome Friday!
Ummm... I wasn't trying to blame Steve, don't read into it. I know the man has been busy. Heck... a house remodel can wreck the free time of anyone!
I didn't leave, I just stopped posting as I was making no progress on my own projects. I would check into see others' progress and when not much was happening, I didn't post.
Yes, FB is some of it, but I found that not seeing new projects meant my only reason to post was IF I made any progress or those other projects that had my interest had made progress.
I always believed (did not know) that all mods could add people. So, I figured, no one new meant no one was asking.
1slo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 06:36 AM   #24
alykat
Site Supporter

I check in daily. Usually more than a few times. I don't post on my own projects 'cause they are mostly in a holding pattern . I do try to respond to others when I see things I like or when there is an open question I feel I might have something to contribute. Of course there is always the give and take BS with Keith, Jeff , Hax and the rest of the gang. This place is an anchor for me and I'm stickin" ! ! !
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #25
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

^ X two (2) !