Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old October 20th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #1
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Battery renewal

I have a riding mower that has a dead battery, 4 flat tires, I can't afford a battery, there's a place near me that sells rebuilt batteries, so I googled rebuilding a 12 volt battery, it turned up several different sites, they sell a "Battery Minder" at Walmart for about $50, it desulfates a battery, that's what makes a battery go bad, the lead plates build up sulfate which in turn takes the life out of them, then I seen a few sites with homemade battery desulfator/charger, you can prolly buy all the stuff to make one for under $20, but I happen to have everything here already, a box of assorted motor run capacitors from old A/C unites from when I built my roto-phase converter to run 3 phase motors & a bridge rectifier to convert AC electric to DC, I had one of those from an old broken battery charger

These things can be quit dangerous if not handled right, from what I read they have been called the "Widow Maker" if care is not used, but I know enough about electricity to know what to do & what not to do

I used a 25 mfd 370 volt capacitor & the bridge rectifier, wired them up the way it showed, then I took the battery out of my riding mower that's been sitting now for about 7 years, the battery measured just under 1 volt, it was low on fluid so I topped it off with distilled water, then I connected the clamps to the battery terminals, plugged everything in & flipped the switch, after a few minutes the water started bubbling, I left it on for 30 minutes, turned the switch off & checked the battery, my meter read 11.7 volts, so I flipped it back on & let it charge & desulfate for another 30 minutes, checked it again & it read 13.6 volts, I let it sit for an hour with no charger & it dropped down to 11.3 volts, tomorrow I'll turn it back on for an hour at a time for a few hours & see what happens, if it starts my mower I'll be able to mow my lawn again, I'm not strong enough anymore to pull the rope on my mower to start it up, both my son's can do it on 1 pull, hopefully I can get away from buying a dadgum battery, if this works I'll never buy another battery again, I'll just hook my batteries up to this desulfator/charger every few months to keep the sulfate from building up

So, anyone ever tried this ??

BTW here is a pic of my new battery desulfator/charger, at least that's the working parts, the run capacitor & the bridge rectifier, next is to mount everything in a nice little electrical box I have so it looks all nice & purtty & so it can't get damaged, or better yet so I don't bump anything & electrocute myself

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 09:52 AM   #2
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Default Re: Battery renewal

Ron, I understand about a third of what you're saying. But I do see that you're a frigging genius.
Regarding the 'pull rope starter.' What if you mounted an old starter motor with a pulley/dog clutch on the end instead of a gear? Wrap the rope around the pulley, bump the starter and viola.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 12:42 PM   #3
cretin
Forum Member

Sounds like snake oil, but if it works...
cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Never heard of such a thing.

Leave it for a few days, and watch the charge every day.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:28 AM   #5
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Yep... Good to have a load of Spare parts to make your own stuff from. Good Project share, Ron.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 04:42 PM   #6
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Okay, if you don't care much for the starter motor idea, you'll hate the bowling ball with the eye bolt and rope concept.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:20 PM   #7
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Okay, if you don't care much for the starter motor idea, you'll hate the bowling ball with the eye bolt and rope concept.

Wat?

Does this all come from the ACME corporation?

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 02:02 PM   #8
Square
Forum Member

I've built one before (under $10) they work great.
Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #9
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

You can make one even cheaper if you get your bowling ball at a thrift store!
Old October 25th, 2016, 03:40 PM   #10
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Ron, I understand about a third of what you're saying. But I do see that you're a frigging genius.
Regarding the 'pull rope starter.' What if you mounted an old starter motor with a pulley/dog clutch on the end instead of a gear? Wrap the rope around the pulley, bump the starter and viola.
Me a genius, why thank ya, but I'm no genius, only thing I can give credit to is google, there's only a few things I'm really good at, working with metals, machining, forging, foundry work, I have trouble welding, but that's only because my eyes aren't what they were 20 years ago, I've had plenty of eye issues over the last 17 years, I'm lucky I still have eye sight at all, I'm good at math, I forget what grade it was in school but we too tests to compare how you did compared to schools across America, I placed 97% compared to the rest of the nation, I was proud of that, that was before calculators were aloud in school, when I went to work after high school in a machine shop my boss told me to get a scientific calculator, now I can barely add & subtract whole numbers without the use of my fingers, I even had letters from the school districts president congratulating me, I lost all that along with all my best art work in the great house fire of 1996, long story, if ya's wanna hear it just ask, y'all know it doesn't take much to get me talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Never heard of such a thing.

Leave it for a few days, and watch the charge every day.
just google "homemade battery desulfator/charger" & read about it, that's purty much how I found it, I won't leave it hooked up for more than an hour because from what I read the things put out between 120 volts dc & 370 volts dc, I don't wanna over heat anything & start a fire, I'm guessing that's why they have been called "the widow maker" if ya accidentally touch the leads you get the last shock of your life, so I use causing & plenty of care not to endanger my life

I'l let ya's know how it goes once I get new cables on the mower

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old October 29th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #11
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

OK, so I haven't hooked the desulfator/charger up since last Tuesday, this morning I went out & checked the battery with my volt meter, it read 11.8 volts

I just need to see if it cranks my mower over once I fix the cables

I'll let ya's know, I still haven't found my old VW battery, you know the original one which has the recessed battery posts & cap for the positive, I don't have anything that can ground out on the battery so I'm not to worried, but I'd like to use that type battery if can find mine, or get my hands on one

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 15th, 2016, 07:35 AM   #12
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

So my mom & aunt are trying to clear out my grandma's garage, I got all her yard & garden tools & stuff, she bought a Craftsman lawn mower back in 1999, its an electric start mower that has had a dead battery since 2009, she bought a new battery for it when it was about 5 years old, so I took the little 12 volt battery off it & checked it, my voltmeter read 3.6 volts, so I hooked it up to my fancy desulfator/charger for an hour, the next morning it was at 9.3 volts, so this past Saturday I hooked it up & left it on for 3 hours, Sunday morning I checked it, it was 12.8 volts, so I put it back in the mower & it made the started spin, the solenoid must be stuck, so I guess I'll hafta fix that & see if it works, yesterday it was 12.6 volts

Seeing how I really don't need to cut my grass until next spring I have plenty of time to fix the starter, I'll keep checking the battery once a week or month to see if it holds a charge, if it does, my only thought is.... I wish I'd a found out about this 30 years ago

I think I'm gonna hook it up to the batteries in our cars for an hour or so a few times a year just to keep them from building up to much sulfate as a preventative maintenance, hopefully I won't ever hafta buy another battery again, unless the outside of the battery goes bad

Just in case anyone decides to make one, make sure you unhook the battery cables before you hook it up to your battery or you will fry you electrical system, it's probably best to just take the battery out of the car, I read that on only one of the web sites, I don't think it was on all of them

Here's a few links, probably should a put them up at the beginning

http://mydiyaddiction.com/diy-batter...fator-charger/

http://poormanguides.blogspot.com/20...r-charger.html

http://www.homemade-circuits.com/201...r-circuit.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POiPpTZ1nA0

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 16th, 2016, 06:42 PM   #13
cretin
Forum Member

Imma have to look into this. I have more batteries that need help than I care to admit
cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 06:50 AM   #14
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by cretin View Post
Imma have to look into this. I have more batteries that need help than I care to admit
If you do, be careful, like I said, in one of the web sites they called it a "widow maker" I completely understand why & how

I also seen similar devices at Walmart & Sears, here's a link to Sears
http://www.sears.com/search=save%20b...ulfator%202365

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS