Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old November 15th, 2016, 09:18 AM   #1
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Regular, Plus, or Premium

About 3 months ago on the news they talked about gas & some study someone did on premium & regular gas & that there is no difference between the 2, saying it's a waste of money to run premium gas in your car, I ignored it & run premium in my Volksrod

I've always run Premium in my cars for as long as I've been driving, it all started from my dad, he said he got better gas mileage running premium, I found that to be true when driving my Eldorado, it had a gauge on the dash that told how many miles per gallon your getting, or you could change it to tell you how many miles you could drive on the gas in the tank, plus there was a sticker on the gas door that said "Premium Fuel Only" once when it was almost empty I put in 5 gallons of regular, I got 3 miles per gallons less than with premium

I did the same in my Volksrod a few years ago but I used all 3 grades of gas, running premium I always got about 2 miles per gallon more than with regular, the plus was to close to tell, I may have gotten 1 gallon less than with premium

So a few weeks ago my wife's car started making terrible noises from the front suspension, we can't afford to buy parts so we parked it & I've been driving her to & from work

One morning we were in a hurry & I needed gas, I stopped at a place I rarely ever go to, it's the only place where if I don't tell them I want premium they assume you want regular & turn it on at the register, most places I pre-pay then I just push the button on the pump, so I go in & pre-pay $5 go out to pump my gas & they set it for regular, not having time to go back in I just put regular in, I got a little over 2 gallons, I take her to work & go home, that afternoon when I left to pick her up about half way there it started running terrible, almost like it was running out of gas, it would start sputtering, then take off like normal for a 1/2 mile, then sputter some more like it was running out, then run like normal for a 1/2 mile, when I got to her work I got out to see if maybe a spark plug wire may have come loose or possibly fell onto the exhaust & was causing it to short out, I've had a wire come loose at the distributor cap before in my rail buggy when off road, it kind of ran like that, but everything was fine & where it was supposed to be, lucky for us her work is only a little over 7 miles from our house, so once we got closer to home & to the place I always get gas, I filled it up with premium, it ran like shit all the way home, the gas station is only a half mile from our house

Later that night I had some running to do, I fired it up & let it run for about 5 minutes before taking off, it sputtered for a bit, once I got about a mile & a half away from my house it started running fine
I'd like to find out who did the study on the different grades of gas & take them for a ride in my car, then give'm a swift kick in the shin with my steel toed boots, I'd need the protection cause if I kicked em with my gym shoes on I'd end up with a broken toe or two

So what do you run in your car ? Do you have any issues like I've had ? Or am I just crazy ?

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 10:28 AM   #2
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Default Re: Regular, Plus, or Premium

Regular in my '99 Ford Ranger (3.0 pushrod V6 w/automatic) gets me 15 mpg for my general running around. Premium, right around 17 mpg. Nope you're not crazy..at least about the gas...
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 04:26 AM   #3
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Most places around here we only have Reg 87, plus 89, some have the 93, and a few select have non ethanol in place of 93.
I was taught, if your vehicle started life on that grade gas, at the time, it was a sticker stating what to use on the inside of the gas doors, leave it. I use 87 in the bug, no difference for higher grade , and in my Bronco, big tank to fill, but 1 mile per gallon, not impressed for the $. Hubby runs non ethanol in the bike. Now it acts up bad, hates cheap gas.
Their so called 'testing' was probably newer vehicles that want ethanol only.
I want the non ethanol, and leaded. Everything we have would be happy again.
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 06:40 PM   #4
cretin
Forum Member

Stuff I've read is that if it's made for 87, run 87. It burns faster than the premium. That's part of how the premium prevents detonation. Slower burning fuel can be bad for them.

I had a new 99 F150 and tried the different grades. Higher mileage from the premium, but not enough to make up for the price difference.
cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #5
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

The Windsor engine in the Single Cab is from a '79 PG&E truck. I've found that 87 works just fine and I get a good plug reading. This with a 625 Eldebrock and Mallory dual point. I've tried 89 & 91, but can't see an improvement.
A couple of years back after finding over a quart of water in the Single Cabs' 23 gallon tank, I started running a 'ethanol treatment' from Lucas. It works really well in the VW (no more H2O in the tank) and in my old bikes, wood splitter, anything that may sit a while... etc.. Maybe that has some bearing on 87 working.
I don't run the treatment in the Ranger as it's designed for crappy fuel. Maybe that's why the higher octane works differently.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 03:55 PM   #6
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

I can say all three of our cars run horribly on 87, and we do have 86, 89, 91, 93 and 94 octane. all three are german built and spec says to run 91 minimum and they clearly need it. I could get away with 89 in the A4 and the passat but the 135i will complain loudly. I always run 93 or 94 in it.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:49 PM   #7
Timbo
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Premium in my VWs and my F-350. If I run regular in them, the MPG drops and the truck will ping. My Blazer and the wifes cars gets regular.
Tim

Forget the plastic, Drive a classic.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #8
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

OK, so I'm not crazy, even tho I know I've lost a lot of brain cells over the years

Another thing that makes a difference is where you get gas, I try to pay attention to the trucks when their filling up the stations tanks, years ago they has little stickers on them, now the big tanks have the company's name painted on the side of them
I usually get it at 2 different places, one is Speedway, mainly because they have a deal that goes along with the grocery store we shop at, kind of like Kroger's, I just don't care to shop at Kroger's unless I need something the other place doesn't have, the other is at the drive thru up & around the corner, I believe it's Mobile, my wife always put gas in her car at the UDF (United Dairy Farmers) right around the corner where she stops every morning before work, they have the deal to get cheaper gas as well, I have no idea if UDF is nationwide since they started here in Cincinnati many years ago, I put their gas in my Volksrod one time, it doesn't even smell right, it sure doesn't smell like the gas I get elsewhere

So I guess I'm not the only one who spends the extra money on premium, unless of coarse it's just a regular old car, then I just put the cheap stuff in

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old November 24th, 2016, 08:31 AM   #9
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

I have family and a couple friends that work at the refineries in Delaware City and Southern PA and I can tell you the refiners all schedule their production together and all of the pipelines lead to the same storage and distribution, the gasoline is the same. Some of the additives may be mixed at the terminals, but ive seen texaco trucks at the sun oil refineries and vice versa many times. Now that Another company owns all of the refining in this area, its all coming from the same place and ive been told the refineries were more specializing and concentrating on diesel/home heating oil vs gasoline. We have a distributor that Ive watched drive straight from the convenience store to the BP down the street.

The thing Ive alway been told is to alway go to high volume stations where the tanks are filled very frequently, and if you are filling a vehicle that isn't driven regularly, alway use higher octane fuel that stores better as the higher octane can overcome the deterioration a little better. And what ever you do, use an ethanol treatment if you are going to let a vehicle sit for long periods.

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0; November 24th, 2016 at 08:59 AM.
HeidelbergJohn4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 02:25 PM   #10
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
OK, so I'm not crazy, even tho I know I've lost a lot of brain cells over the years

Ron

No - you're not crazy - unique maybe! John is spot on as well. My family used to own an oil company, refinery, our own chain of convenience stores and our own trucking company. (lost it all - but that is another story)

Almost every gas station gets the same gas. Once the gas is delivered from the refinery or terminal, THEN they put in the additives (at the station - they will "treat" the fuel by adding the unique "brand" chemicals).

Yes, some will do it at a terminal, but only if that truck is delivering to all the same type of stations. Very few gas stations get gas from their own refineries anymore. We did, but we were small - only provided petroleum products to a couple towns in four different states. Each "brand" does have it's own additives - and states differ on octane and % ethanol.

My .02 - you should run the octane the motor was designed for. Why? There are a number of interesting articles that 'splain it all. Basically (way oversimplified for JiI and DrHax) compression, timing, spark, fuel and fuel/air mix are all inputs into a motor working. Change one, you affect how they all work together.

I run 91 in all my early cars (and add ethanol treatment - to delay the negative effects it has on older fuel systems and carburetors). For the few cars that are still needing lead added (I have one) - add a lead treatment. My dually ('99) likes 89 octane. My 'burban ('90) likes 87.

Does where you get your gas have an effect? Yes. Again, different "brands" - different cleaning agents, etc. What happens when you switch your dog's food? Many (but not all) will get the runs - until their body adjusts - or if it doesn't, hopefully you go back to the brand that works.

Here are some other "pointers"

Get gas in the morning - you get more (doesn't make a huge difference though - maybe three cents a year) Although in Phoenix or Yuma in the summer - when gas was over $5 a gallon - then it was maybe six cents a year).

Get gas from a station that does a lot of sales OR has smaller storage tanks - basically to get fresher gas. Or put a fuel stabilizer in (I do - cuz sometimes it may be a couple of months in between driving that car - they are all old and a little persnickety).

Yes JiI - that word is for you. Thought you were going to have to go all day without hearing it? Thinking about typing a reply of, "I didn't hear it - I READ it"? When you read it, did you sound the word out in your head?

Find out when "your" station gets their gas delivered and when are the "additives" put in. Before all the clean burning additives, (which our VWs could give two shits about) octanes were higher, hotter burn, bigger bang, more HP and often better mileage. My station only puts in the additives once a month. I go before he does it - slightly less percentage of additives. Noticeable difference? No, not really. I feel cooler though and that is all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 08:05 PM   #11
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

I know a lot about persnickety Keith!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 11:35 AM   #12
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #13
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Persnickety 1st time I think I've ever seen or heard that word but then again if I did I wouldn't remember anyway, the only stuff I can remember are certain dates, phone numbers, altho I still need my cheat sheet for trigonometry, I've said it before & I'll say it again, my brain cells are slowly turning to mush, I blame it on all the meds I take & all the times my wife found me unconscious from low blood sugar over the 5 years between my kidney & pancreas transplants, it shows when I'm working on something under the carport & can't find a hammer, so I walk the 90 feet to my garage & forget what I was looking for, then see a tool for something I was working on 3 days earlier & stopped because I couldn't find that tool, I mess with it until I see a hammer, pick it up, walk back to the carport & there sits 2 hammers that I couldn't find, most times I say it's divine intervention, if I had picked that hammer up I probably would have smashed my finger, or missed completely & the hammer would have slipped out of my hand & hit me in my shin, I just look to Heaven & thank my dad

My very 1st job was pumping gas, I remember my boss adding stuff every time the truck filled the tanks, that's where my wife 1st saw me, her b/f was getting gas & I walked out & unlocked the selfserve pump, a mutual friend told me some good looking gal wanted to meet me, I spent 2 weeks driving around to all the places she hung out at, she was doing the same looking for me, the Sunday of that 2nd week she was waiting there for me to show up for work, I fell head over heals in love just over her looks, we spent the next 100 days every free moment we had together just talking & getting to know each other, we became best friends, sex didn't even enter either of our minds, that will be 34 years ago this April
We've been together ever since

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; February 14th, 2017 at 09:52 AM.