Newest Member: jessup

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old January 17th, 2017, 03:09 PM   #1
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Default Looking for a little assistance

I know that some of you don't know me, some of you have forgotten me, and maybe a few can't forget me.

In all the years I have been a member here, I don't remember asking for help. Advise, clarification, and maybe technical expertise, but never help. On the other hand, I have always tried to help any member who needed anything. From parts, the financial help, airfare, a bed and a meal as they were passing through, no questions asked. But now I find myself in a situation where I could use a little help.

I have been diagnosed with a TBI and PTSD which includes symptoms of anxiety disorder, depression, hypervigilence, lossof short term memory, communication problems, intrusive memories, nightmares, survivors guilt, avoidance, startle response, anger and rage reactions as well as degenerative arthritis of the spine and both hips. I am also losing my hearing.

Because I am a pre-9/11 veteran, I do not qualify for most programs that help veterans with service dogs. The few that will help pre-9/11 veterans, will only place already trained dogs with the veteran and there can be no other pets in the household. These dogs are trained to do general tasks, not to meet the specific needs of their veteran handler. A I cannot find a way to tell my boys that they have to give their pets away so I can get on a 2 year waiting list just to be possibly considered.

So I went another route. I searched and luckily for days a trainer who's husband is a veteran with very similar issues as me. She is located about 10 minutes away from me, and she prefers to train dogs that have been with the right owner from a puppy because of the trust bond that is already established. So I purchased a pup who was 8 weeks old. She is now slightly over 7 months old and tipping the scales at 58 pounds.

We have been accepted into the service dog training course. I say we because they not only train Lolly, my dog, to meet my individual needs, but they also train me as the handler. These strengthens the bond between dog and handler as well as teaching me the rules and regulations of owning a service dog.

Now for the unfortunate part. Most training programs run from $12K to $30K depending on the training facility, what was taught, the length of the program, and in some cases the breed of dog.

Because Zen Dog Training has a very low overhead, the cost for our 6 month program will cost me $3500. That is where I am asking for a bit of help. I spoke with Carlene and she said that it would be ok to post this here.

I have set up a gofundme page to accept donations. I'm not asking for anytime big. I know times aretough and money is tight all over. 700 $5.00 donations, 350 $10.00 donations, 233 $10.00 donations, 135 $20.00 donations... That is all that would be required. I will post the link at the bottom. Even if you choose not to donate, could you at least please pass the information along so that others might?

And please don't think that I am just here begging for money. I have quite a few items that I have been given or that I have collected over the years that I hope to auction off here, or just place in the for sale section.

Thank you very much for your time, any contribution you can make, and your consideration.

http://www.gofundme.com/35ladig
Old January 17th, 2017, 04:16 PM   #2
jaransonT3
Type 3 Nut

Default Re: Looking for a little assistance

Good luck with the training Ray-Dean and Lolly. Good looking dog you have.

OK folks I donated some cash, but am willing to go one further. The first Volksrodder that donates at least $100 will get a custom cartoon rendering of the car of their choice done up by me. This is great deal since I normally charge $250 for a rendering.

So go to the gofundme site and pony up $100 (or more) and let Ray-Dean know in the comment box that you are from Volksrods. As soon as I get confirmation from Ray-Dean that you were first, I will contact you and work with you on your rendering.

You will get a 16x20 full color print and a digital version along with full rights to use the artwork for your webpage, letterhead, whatever.

Come-on folks.....help a brother out.
'69 Square (Panel wanna-be)
'70/'71 Fasty (Jane - the Lead Sled project)

My Home Page
CarArt by John Jaranson
2010 Type 3 Invasion
jaransonT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 04:24 PM   #3
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

John and Jill, thank you very much. You don't know how much this means to me.
Old January 17th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #4
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

unfortunately I'm having some vehicular problems as of late so I can't give as much as I'd like to, but I sent some money your way, hope it helps Brother!

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 07:15 AM   #5
Number1tileguy
Site Supporter

Ok, I've never used a gofundme account so I hope I didn't screw it up...
Ray-Dean I don't personally know you, I only know you from here.
Encouraging thoughts and prayers your way and us volksrodders have your back 👍👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67' Volksrod 2276cc (sold)

72' Baja Champion SE 1776cc

66' Volkstruck 1641cc
Number1tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 07:28 AM   #6
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Thank you very much. I only know you from here as well. I've seen your work here and I commend you. Your donation went through just fine. I received it moments ago. John will be contacting you soon. Again, thank you very much.
Old January 18th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #7
jaransonT3
Type 3 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1tileguy View Post
Ok, I've never used a gofundme account so I hope I didn't screw it up...
Ray-Dean I don't personally know you, I only know you from here.
Encouraging thoughts and prayers your way and us volksrodders have your back 👍👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Dean View Post
Thank you very much. I only know you from here as well. I've seen your work here and I commend you. Your donation went through just fine. I received it moments ago. John will be contacting you soon. Again, thank you very much.

Very cool Richard. Send me an email at john@carartbyjohn.com and we will figure out what you want for your 'toon/rendering.
'69 Square (Panel wanna-be)
'70/'71 Fasty (Jane - the Lead Sled project)

My Home Page
CarArt by John Jaranson
2010 Type 3 Invasion
jaransonT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 03:51 PM   #8
whozawhat
Forum Member

Well I am too late to get in on John's generous offer but that did not stop the donation. Ray-Dean I only know from here, but he is good people. Give him a hand!
whozawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #9
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Thank you all so much. I wish there was a way that I could repay you. In all honesty, I wish I didn't have to bring this here at all.
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #10
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

I have quite a few things I was going to put up as auction items. I didn't have a chance to price the envelopes today, but I would like to start the bid at $5.00 and if it happens to double, I'll pay the shipping.

I also need to figure out how best to do this. If I post them in the shit for sale, you "can't" reply to place bids. Typically, selling things on the cutting board has been frowned upon. However, I posed the question to the dragon lady and all looks good.

So I guess the next thing would be, do I post them one by one, (could take forever) or just # each one? That being the case, it would get confusing really fast. And starting a new thread for each item will push important topics to the bottom or to the second page...
Old January 19th, 2017, 03:59 AM   #11
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I have quite a few things I was going to put up as auction items. I didn't have a chance to price the envelopes today, but I would like to start the bid at $5.00 and if it happens to double, I'll pay the shipping.

I also need to figure out how best to do this. If I post them in the shit for sale, you "can't" reply to place bids. Typically, selling things on the cutting board has been frowned upon. However, I posed the question to the dragon lady and all looks good.

So I guess the next thing would be, do I post them one by one, (could take forever) or just # each one? That being the case, it would get confusing really fast. And starting a new thread for each item will push important topics to the bottom or to the second page...
Just do like we used to do way back, just do 1 item at a time in a thread as many as you want, here, on the main forum. I can pin them to the top so regular threads can move as they normally would. But I don't think it will be a problem leaving them in the main list. Alot of people lurk more than they talk now :-/ But nothing will get lost, I'm still here pretty much everyday.

And if anyone wants to do like John did, donate an item, please do. Ray-Dean is an elder here and has helped out many of the family in the past.
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 06:12 AM   #12
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Gosh girly... Elder? You make me sound like Gandolf, Merlin, Edgar Winter, or some other dusty fuck like that.
Old January 19th, 2017, 07:31 AM   #13
Number1tileguy
Site Supporter

Ray-Dean,

Thanks and it's a pleasure to help a member of the Volksrod family.
I had already made up my mind to see how I could help before before even finishing reading your post....

Im not going to lie, John's gift to you made up my mind on at least how much I could do at this time, I took some of my Christmas/Car money and ponied up, so you can say it's My Christmas gift to you, your Christmas gift to me, and John's Christmas gift to the both of us

I will see how I can help again weather it's through GoFundMe or your online auction

I know that your goal is very obtainable and also reasonable (we have looked into dogs for our disabled grandson)

Come on Volksrod Family "Let's Make This Happen"

67' Volksrod 2276cc (sold)

72' Baja Champion SE 1776cc

66' Volkstruck 1641cc
Number1tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 07:58 AM   #14
alykat
Site Supporter

If not "Elder" how about VR Spiritual Guidence Leader or VR School Headmaster ? In any case, Ray-Dean has long been the go to guy for help. Time to step up for him.
Old January 19th, 2017, 08:51 AM   #15
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Also my first time at 'gofunding.' You and sweet looking Lolly should make a great team!
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:09 AM   #16
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Ok, so I'm thinking I will start with a lot of 10 8x10" VW ads from the 60's and early 70's. On most I can get you the month and year and on many I can get the magazine they came from. As these are the smaller ones and not backed by acid free substrate, I figured start these 10 with an opening bid of $5.00. I know I'm trying to raise money, but also know what it's like when you can't contribute because everything goes sky high in no time. I have other things that will be put up later. Doing this from my phone is a pain in the ass...

Bidding will end Sunday, Jan. 22nd at 00:00 CST (01:00 Mon. on the right coast or 22:00 on the left coast)

First pic is a group shot

8 1/2"11"

Individual pages starting top left to bottom right

Last edited by Ray-Dean; January 22nd, 2017 at 08:02 AM.
Ray-Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #17
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Gosh girly... Elder? You make me sound like Gandolf, Merlin, Edgar Winter, or some other dusty fuck like that.
hey, it was before 8am, brain malfucktion, I'm still polite that early in the day,
punk~
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:28 AM   #18
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Love you dragon lady
Old January 19th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #19
whozawhat
Forum Member

Ok I see an auction for 10 VW ads, I will open with the $5.00 bid.

Then I will raise that bid to $10.00.

Cool old ads, would look great on the wall

Last edited by whozawhat; January 19th, 2017 at 04:23 PM.
whozawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 12:45 PM   #20
bigguy
Forum Member

Ray dean offer up the pinstrip stuff that was done for me as well that i donated to the hotrod bathroom build as well. Im starting a new venture of fostering kids but will send cash as soon as i can as well.
Old January 21st, 2017, 12:52 PM   #21
bigguy
Forum Member

Sent ray-dean another auction item as well. The coveted cut weld drive book. I will let him post it though. I have the book in my possesion.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 08:01 AM   #22
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Yesterday was nothing but hog shows all day. Pooky, I have the pieces and a few that I have done over the years that I am going to put up. I was just testing the water so to speak with the small adds.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 10:09 PM   #23
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Quote:

You are an ol' dusty fuck!

If it is OK with everyone here..... I offer an original Volksrods Plaque for auction - the RPU that it was to go on - has been pushed to the back burner for a long time.

If given the OK - details to follow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #24
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

I may be old and dusty as fuck, but I can still piss off a lot of people while pissing on their shoes...

You guys are to kind. Like I said, I have some more stuff to post up. I've just been busy this weekend. Guss is almost 14 now and he shows goats. This weekend we went to a hog show for his cousins. Yes, I am a hick. 100%, born in the sticks, hillbilly hick.

Last edited by Ray-Dean; January 24th, 2017 at 07:34 PM.
Ray-Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 09:55 PM   #25
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

I thought "hog shows" was some reference to American made motorcycles...
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote