Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old March 12th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #1
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Fired up my forge this morning

Friday morning I started cleaning the Blacksmith & Foundry section of my garage/workshop, I still have a lot more to go, I'll add some before & after pics once I get them sorted out, let me tell ya's, it was a disaster area

I did however find a candle holder that holds a 3/4" diameter candlestick, I started it back in 05 or 06, I also found a 20 lb propane tank that had just enough in it to almost finish it, I just need to put a rivet in it to hold the 2 pieces together, I cheated & used a 1/4 - 20 flathead screw until I get more propane, or get my waste oil burner going

Here's a pic of it, I just wish I'd a taken a pic before I finished it, I'm gonna make 3 more so I have a complete set

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #2
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Default Re: Fired up my forge this morning

Nice job. I was going to make some remark and "not being able to hold a candle to your work," but I won't.
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:06 PM   #3
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Kim, the beatings are only going to get worse for you.
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 05:55 AM   #4
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Why Thank ya

Kim, you don't ever hafta hold back on the puns/jokes with me, I like to laugh every chance I can

Ya know I miss standing in front of my forge with its dragon breath blowing out, I miss even more doing the pattern welded stuff, I have a couple billers I forge welded together before I stared working on my Volksrod's, I just need to draw them out longer, then cut them into 3 pieces, forge weld them together, draw them out longer, cut, forge weld, repeat several times till I get the number of layers I want, then make into whatever it is I want

My plan is to make some parts for my Volksrod, the one thing I wanna do is make a set of outside rear view mirrors, but (yup the but word), I need to get my waste oil burner going because propane is way to expensive, I wanna make some more knives as well

Jeff, let the flogging begin

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:13 AM   #5
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I'd have Kim flogged but you know he'd like it...
Jeff
Old March 13th, 2017, 09:32 AM   #6
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Jeff, you keep threatening me with what I take to be a mythical "pool noodle." I've played a lot of pool and can't recall a "noodle' being around the table, or hanging from the wall. Is this a device particular to your neck of the woods?.
Old March 13th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #7
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...v-web&fr=yfp-t
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #8
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Ron, glad you like the puns. I just happen to have one to leave this evening, heh, heh. A very long time ago, a friend had a welding shop just down from my sign shop. He called it Iron Dragon Welding Works. I designed his t-shirt and we used to swap puns. We're up in the California wine country and both did a lot of work for wineries. Late one afternoon I walked over and delivered my pun for the day. "One of the local wineries is combining red, white and yellow onions with three varieties of Muscat grapes. They plan to sell the resulting blend as..."Three Muscat-Tears.""
Marc, my welding buddy, looked at me for a minute, then asked me to step back from his big roll down door. As soon as I was outside and clear, he quickly rolled it down, then quickly shut and locked the outside door to his office. A few moments later I knew I'd nailed it when a piece of paper appeared from behind the blind on the office window. It read, "my week is ruined, go away!"
Old March 13th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #9
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

That's too gosh dern funny
I'm gonna wake up in the morning laughing so hard, then my wifes gonna ask me what's so funny & I'm not gonna be able to tell he because I'll start laughing thinking about it, then once I do stop laughing I'm gonna forget what it was I was laughing about & start laughing all over again & again & again, it can be a vicious cycle at times

Your prolly thinking no way, he can't do that, I can, it happens quite a few times a year, usually takes a couple hours till I remember what was so funny, I think my mind is going, at least I'll be laughing & happy

My dad's best friend was a barber, up until I moved out he'd take me to get my hair cut on Saturday mornings about 6 times a year, my belly always hurt for 2 or 3 days afterwards from all the laughing I did, him & my dad would have me in tears

One day I was in the chair & Wooz, that's what he went by, his last name was Woosley, anyway he was talking about a Vineyard he had taken a tour of the weekend before, towards the end he was telling me about the bottling part, when he said it was the best cork socker he ever seen I lost it, I was laughing so hard he couldn't finish cutting my hair, I left with half a hair cut
Later that day when I went to pick up my wife, we weren't married back then, she asked what happened, I told her, she learned how to cut hair that week, talk about laughing, my hair made jokes all week, my belly hurt for most of the following week

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old March 14th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #10
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

If you like puns and fantasy fiction, read the Piers Anthony Xanth series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanth

I got through about 19 of them and then life got in the way. I actually read one in one day; 306 pages.

Jeff
Old March 14th, 2017, 05:11 AM   #11
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I'll check it out soon

I wanted to add a few before & after pics of my forge & foundry area since I straightened it up, I tossed most of it, I had a 5 Gallon Bucket that was 3/4 full of nuts & bolts from all the S10 Blazers & Trucks my son & I had between 04 & 08, the bucket weighed 57 lbs

Here's a before pic looking at the back wall, on the left is my abrasive chop saw & my small forge, on the right is my big waste oil burner forge, behind that is my power hammer AKA a Junk Yard Hammer or JYH, then the work bench, between the JYH & the side wall is where my railroad track anvils are

Here's an after pic, it's tough to see how much cleaner the work bench is, the circular saw blades I got to cut into 1" wide strip to forge weld into knives, you can also see the top of my big foundry furnace slightly left of center

Under that pile of crap is my abrasive chop saw, it can cut up to 7" with a new cutt-off wheel, my small forge is just in frontof the saw, in front of that you can see my big foundry furnace

The before pic of my chop saw & small forge

After pic of my chop saw & small forge, those are all fire bricks stacked in front of the saw

Another view of the small forge & the chop saw

Here's my collection of railroad anvils, the ones on the ends are bolted down as well as the vise in the center, the one on the right that looks like an anvil I bought at the scrapyard for $4.75 it weighs 25 lbs, the one on the far left has been machined flat on top & square on the sides, the longer piece on the left side of the vise is gonna be for swords, the short piece on the right side of the vise weighs about 40 lbs, I have a chunk of steel to set under it that weighs around 50 lbs, it will be used for heavy jobs, I have a section of utility pole to mount it on, I also have a 15 lb track shaped like a real anvil as well as a tiny piece that weighs about 5 lbs, it's my portable anvil

Here's some pattern welded bullets I forge welded back before 07, they are alternating layers of the circular saw blades from the second pic along with pieces of high carbon steel, when finished & etched in ferric chloride the carbon steel turns black & the saw blades stays purrty shinny making for a nice contrast, they need to be drawn out longer, then cut into pieces & forge welded back together

I also have 60 lbs of bandsaw blades cut into 12" long pieces that are about 1/16" thick, they vary in width from 1" to 1-1/2" wide

I don't have any pics of these because they're under a pile of crap somewhere, I have abut 30 lbs of 1080 carbon steel pieces 1/16" thick by 1" wide & 30" long, they came from a box making factory, the mounting holes weren't in the correct place so they haven't been used
That's what I made this knife from

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #12
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

That's a killer work space. I reminds me of a friends shop. He had stuff everywhere but knew where everything was. He also had a sign over his door that read, "A Neat Work Space is the Sign of Sick Mind."
You do some seriously cool things with metal. That is one slick knife!
Old March 14th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #13
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Ron is getting all Damascus on us!
I'll look for that book Ron. Ever do the "horse piss and oil" patina? It is amazing on bronze! There is a hot salt one too but I've never done it. Here are a few of my graduate sculptures. It was from my show titled, "The Horse Abstracted".

This last one is titled Riding Bareback and they are body molds of a former friend of mine (I hate saying that).

The first pictured piece is on our front porch and the others are at my parent's house. The last one is disassembled and the bronze is in the garage while the wood was used as bracing for the volksrod!

Jeff
Old March 14th, 2017, 05:04 PM   #14
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

I...like it!
Old March 15th, 2017, 04:02 AM   #15
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

The horse piss & oil doesn't sound like something I'd wanna try, collecting the horse piss sounds like a piss poor job

"The Horse Abstracted" is cool, I like it
The Riding Bareback I can't really make out on this little screen, even when I make it bigger I can't make it out having to drag it around to see it all, so I have no idea what body molds your talking about
I need to fix my real computer or get a new one, that's not gonna happen anytime soon

I tell ya what, doing the damascus is addicting, I only made 3 knives & started welding together a few billets, I had to stop back in 07 when the price of gas went up, I couldn't afford propane anymore, I went thru two 100 lb tanks in a week, cost $62 to fill one, then went up to over $80, the 20 lb tanks went from $12 to $20, the little tanks ice up to fast, I'd set the little tanks in buckets of hot water, but they would be empty after about 6 to 8 hours of forge welding
I did prove the blacksmith friend that taught me a lot about it, he said you CAN'T forge weld with propane, said I needed coal, so I built a coal burning forge, I didn't like it, so I tried my propane burner that I made myself for under $20 using some pipe fitting, pipe & mig welding tip
Here's a pic of my burner, I use the 1" pipe in the center

The larger pipe on the right I use in my big foundry furnace with a different propane delivery setup using a blower, it gets hot enough to melt cast iron
To forge weld I had to turn my regulator up

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old March 15th, 2017, 08:34 AM   #16
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The riding bareback piece; if you look at it, I pulled plaster molds off of her, filled them with wax and then cast her calves, front of her thighs and lower back out of bronze, hence her "riding bareback". I may redo it sometime with a steel base. I'll look around for better pics. This was when digital cameras were new. so the pic quality isn't great.
Jeff
Old March 15th, 2017, 11:57 AM   #17
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

How large is riding bareback?
Old March 15th, 2017, 12:35 PM   #18
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

It was about 6' tall, around 13' long, 3' wide and weighed over 200 pounds (est.) The amount of bronze I used was crazy!
Jeff
Old March 15th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #19
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Well that explains it

When I first looked at it I could make out the horses mane & tail, now I see the thighs, calves & now I can barely make out her "bare back" that is really cool, prolly better to see in person than pics

I've never tried casting bronze, I tried brass once & started running out of propane, so I hurried up & dumped the brass into an ingot mold, most of it didn't even melt

I forgot to add the pic of my hammer rack, the base is an old wheel & tire so it won't tip over, it swivels around, one day I plan to add another ring of circles to put my tongs in

And I can never find a hammer when I need one, I need to start using it again, I'm still missing about 6 hammers

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; March 15th, 2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #20
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I love storage racks like that!
Jeff
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:34 PM   #21
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Bronze isn't the easiest thing to work with. Have to get it up to 2700*F all around or it gets gloppy and won't pour. You usually pour at around 2400. Here are 2 shots of one of the calves. I left the metal with a natural rough texture. It just looked neater. I did wire wheel them before the show but the patina came back since it was about 19 years ago that I cast them.

Jeff
Old March 15th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #22
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I've always wanted to try bronze, I'd hafta make another crucible to do that, I'll hafta find a pic of the one I made
I did the brass melt in my reverb furnace, I'll see if I can find a pic of that as well

Here's a few other things I've made in my forge

Calla lillies, I put the balls from a VW CV joint inside the flowers, my wife had them at work for years, when she was away from her desk somebody picked them up, the balls fell out & made one hell of a noise when they hit the floor

These are the first 3 roses I made

These are some of the very first things I ever made, the cobra snake was a railroad spike, I drew it out to about 28" long before coiling it up, the other snakes were 3/8" spikes that were 8" long before drawing them out to 30"

My pattern welded knives

Here's the rest of what I call my snake knife, I found some brass I wanna remake the guard out of as well as a different handle

Railroad spike tomahawk, we brought this camping all the time, my boys tested it out, it even threw purty good with the one handle I made

Railroad spike knife, I have about 60 spikes, I wanna forge weld a piece of high carbon steel where the edge is, otherwise they are just for show

A couple pair of tongs I made, I still need to finish making the handles round, plus I have 3 more pairs I need to finish

The neighbor behind me doesn't like anyone cutting thru, he has cameras & motion detecters all around his property, I cut thru all the time, I got a picture of his sign, I like it

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS
Old March 15th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #23
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Hella nice stuff Ron!:thumb sup:
Jeff
Old March 15th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #24
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful work. You, my friend, are a true artist.
Old March 15th, 2017, 10:03 PM   #25
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Why Thank ya's

I only wish I had done all this stuff 20 years sooner, I'm definitely gonna get my oil burner going so I can get back to doing it cause it is SO MUCH FUN

I've been trying to put a link up of the bench lathe I built back between 03 & 04
It's all the pics instead, I made all the wooden patterns as well

BTW, I built the lathe from a book written by a guy named Dave Gingery, he has a 7 book set called "How to build a machine shop from scrap metal"

I was going to use nothing but hand tools to finishing all the parts, I cheated & took the bed casting the the last machine shop I worked at & had them cut it perfectly flat, I then started doing the compound assembly using a file & a hand scrapper, it took me 8 hours to get it flat & to slide on the ways, that's when I cheated again & went to Harbor Fighting & bought one of them cheap milling cross slides, bolted it to my drill press & slowly machined all the parts, I could only take real small cuts, but it was much faster than doing all the parts by hand like the book said, I made the first headstock using bronze bushings for the spindle, then I modified the headstock pattern making the bearing sections thicker, I then bored the headstock to use a set of VW Bug front wheel bearings as the spindle bearings, the 5th pic down you can see how I bored the bigger headstock

Ron

I Love ya's ALL !!!

RSS

Last edited by metalmaster1766; March 15th, 2017 at 10:06 PM.