Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,418
Total Online: 609

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by Bugula
- by f4u5t
- by Bugula

Old October 15th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #1
SLOBugin69
Forum Member

Talking

My dad has been into VWs since before my time. As a kid I grew up riding around in 69-71 buses and a '71 truck. Somewhere along the way I got side tracked and ended up neck deep into fords. I began with a '66 mustang, then a Taurus SHO, then a '63 fairlane, then another couple of SHOs, and a 5.0 mustang. Somewhere in between all the fords, a friend of mine gave me my '69 bug. Since I always wanted to chop the top on a car I figured this would be a good start since I (nor the bug) had anything to lose.

I spent a long time planning, photoshopping it at different heights to see what I liked the best. As well as reading How to Articles. I decided to use the two roof method. I found a roof from a friend of my dads. Finaly, I went out and bought a welder and got busy. I ended up chopping it 4" in the front and 3.5" in the back. I like the way it has turned out so far.

The bug that started it all.....(after I gutted it for the chop).

After the initial cut, with the roof set in place for looks. With me double checking the measurements for the 100th time!

The front of the car with the roof mocked up.

A detail shot of the cuts made around the rear window.

And of course the semi-finished product.

One of these days I will post all the things I have planned for this car once I finish the chop.

My Intro
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4024
SLOBugin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #2
SLOBugin69
Forum Member

I finally got a chance to pull out the old hack saw and grinder and go to work. I worked on fitting the new "B" pillars. Then I ground down a few welds, and painted those areas with some left over "gunmetal" grey spray paint, which actualy looks nicer than the rest of the car [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img]

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center"></div>

My Intro
Old December 8th, 2004, 04:47 PM   #3
SLOBugin69
Forum Member

Well I said before that I would post my plans for the car. I have a short term plan and a long term plan. For the Short Term I am just going to try and get it driving for as little as possible:

Finish the chop
Get some one-peice windows for the front doors
Cut glass for all windows
Stock 1600 DP
Adjustable front beam, narrowed 4"
2.5" drop spindles with disc brakes
Chrome VW wheels
Ghetto Paint job, probably 5 different colors of random paint [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Make brackets to mount a set of bucket seats from a Taurus S H O
No interior other than the front seats

For the Long Term I will be going a little more "all out" on it.

2.2L Subaru Motor EFI (Possibly turbo'd)
Either a porsche 901 or bus tranny
'66 down, fenders, lights, hood, engine cover, taillights, bumbers, etc...Basically make it look older.
Shaved door handles, or maybe door handles from another kind of car
Nice custom paint job, probably a lighter color on top and a darker color on the sides and fenders
Nice interior, either black or grey
Not sure about what kind of wheels yet.... Hmm...

My Intro
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:19 PM   #4
SLOBugin69
Forum Member

My dad gave me an oval window section for Xmas. Isn't that great! Depending on how hard it is to get glass for my chopped rear window, I will probably be putting an oval window on my '69. Time will tell, I have plenty of other things to work on in the mean time.

I also started to fit in my one piece windows. I found a new complete set of windows with used regulators for $75. I got one side in and I was playing around with them trying to adjust them correctly and ended up breaking the hand crank mechanism. So I drilled out the rivets which held it together and am now going to use the stock window mechanisms. They look much stronger anyways.

My Intro
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #5
SLOBugin69
Forum Member

Well, its about time for another update.... I'm really excited to have it looking like it is almost drivable, even if it does still have a long ways to go. And I know that this thread would be worthless without picts, so I'll just get that part out of the way...

I got busy and made the window frame for the drivers side door, it still needs to be fitted so that everything lines up perfectly. But I am going to wait untill I get some door weather stripping in so that I can make sure the door lines up with everything perfectly when it is closed.

I also cut out part of the passenger side but I left the rear door peice (the red peice of the door like on the picture above) at my moms house so I couldn't finish that part....Grr [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crybaby.gif[/img] I did how ever re-adjust the striker plate and lube the latch so that it closes correctly and easily. It has never closed correctly since I've had it and that always bugged me!

Next up on the list are the rear side windows. I have an idea floating around in my head. I'm really hopping it will work out as well as it does in my head, other wise I'm screwed. My next update won't be for at least 3 weeks as I will be going to the snow one weekend and working on my other cars the following weekend, then it will be the bugs turn again.

My Intro
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:39 PM   #6
SLOBugin69
Forum Member

Last weekend I forgot to make an update but I managed to take care of the pass. side door. I got the piece from my moms house and cut it to fit. I also ground down a few welds here and there. Notice the unfinished rear side window....

So then I got working on the rear side windows a little more and got both sides looking like this:

I was having a problem getting the window frame to be "flat". So I posted my question on the Cutting Board and was told that the "BFH" was the best solution.

Right now my goal is to get this guy on the road by May 6th so that I can drive it to a little VW show in Atascadero. I have lots to do before then. I need to have my windshield cut, buy and install a running motor, weld up the doors and rear side windows, get it registered/insured, put in a new rear wheel cylinder, work on the wiring a bit...... And probably a bunch of other stuff. I'm not sure if I will make it but I sure will try!!!

SLobugin'

My Intro
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #7
SLOBugin69
Forum Member

. Well, I have been so busy working on my car I haven't had a chance to post [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hello.gif[/img]

. I spent part of my spring break at my fathers house helping him pull the motor and tranny out of his '71 Transporter. He was putting in another tranny and motor. Lucky for me I got his old long block. Its a 1600 DP which needs to be rebuilt, but it will get me to and from the car show and then some.

. So far I have gotten a bunch of stuff done. I cleaned up all of my old tins and mounted them on my motor. I put the motor into the car. Just need some DP end castings, intake, and carb to have it ready.

. I installed a new rear wheel cylinder and adjusted the brakes only to find out that I need a new wheel cylinder on the other side (bought that).

. Rewired the car. I started out with one rear parking light, one front parking light, and one head light. Now everything (ignition switch, fuel gauge, oil press, gen, coil....) except for the turnsignal and back-up lights works. Here is an action shot....

. Went down to the DMV and got new plates, and current registration.

. The best part.....I ordered up a bunch of stuff for it....Exhaust, Turnsignal switch, window seals, carb re-build kit, two rear brake drums, and some misc. little stuff. Should be here next week.

. I've found a glass shop that is willing to try to cut the glass for my windshield at a reasonable price. I'm supposed to go over there later today. :keeping my fingers crossed while they cut it:

Next weekend I will hopefully be welding up my window and door posts [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

SLobugin'

My Intro
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #8
SLOBugin69
Forum Member

Well, I had an exciting weekend!

I found a local place that was willing to cut my glass for a reasonable price. They said they couldn't guarantee it and that it was $30 either way. So I figured it was better than the other place that wanted $100 and they wouldn't guarantee it either!! So I went over there and handed it over.....

The guy sprays a coat of WD40 on it, then goes over the line with the glass cutter. No problems, then he grabs a pair of pliers....WTF? and starts going around the window....Crack! tries going from the other side.... Crack! Ohh well, victim number one. But he gives me the window back, and says I don't have to pay him because he broke it before he really had to do any work. So I drag my cracked windshield home.

When I got back from the glass place I saw that all of my parts had come early (I ordered them the 5th and it was supposed to be 7-10 days....) So I was super happy!! Here is what I got (plus a windshield seal I forgot to put in the pict).

Then I got to work on my windshield. Since I really need a windshield for the car show that I am getting ready for and I don't really feel like buying another window right now. I figured this one was going to have to work. So I ended up tapping the glass all around (like your supposed to), flipping it over and cutting the other side, tapping that. Then I just started pouring alcohol on it and lighting it on fire. Eventually I got it all apart and I now have a windshield with a few cracks in it. But it fits!! And I am pretty confident that I can cut my next window without breaking it.

Saturday after work, I stopped by the junkyards looking for parts. Most of the places were closed so I am going to go back tomorrow.

I cut my brand new windshield seal with a razor blade.... So that it would fit my chopped glass. Its all ready to go in, now I just need someone to help me install it.

I finished up some odds and ends.....new rubber fuel lines w/ clamps, fixed my back-up lights, installed my exhaust, new wheel cylinder and drums, bled and adjusted rear drums, blah, blah, blah....

Right now it looks like I will make it to the show with some time to spare [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilespin.gif[/img]

My Intro
Old April 21st, 2005, 03:22 PM   #9
SLOBugin69
Forum Member

Well, I got my steering column and intake at the junk yard last week. The steering column is now installed. The carb I picked up is a Zenith NDIX 32:

Last weekend I went out and bought a gas tank for my welder! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] Then I hooked it up and got to work. So now my car looks like so:

This weekend I'm going to visit my parents. The following weekend I'll get her running and start welding up the pass. side. Then the weekend after that is the cruise/show.

SLobugin'

My Intro
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #10
SLOBugin69
Forum Member

Ok, so starting where I left off..... I did make it to the car show and was able to enjoy all of the cars. I was the only car with a chopped top. Which really felt good when all the other cars started to look about the same other than the different colored paint jobs.

Here is another fun picture. Over the summer I needed to move a motor for my SHO but I couldn't find a pickup truck to borrow. So....the bug did double duty and it ended up working out pretty well.

SLobuggin'

My Intro
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #11
SLOBugin69
Forum Member

I really think there should be some kind of penalty fee for not updating your profile at least once a month... I'd be paying up big $$$!

I have been working on my bug a little. Not as much as I'd like to, but other things have kept getting in my way and they have been totaly worth it.

So last week I found the time to do some more welding and welded up most of the rear side window on the drivers side. Of course I ran out of time, but thats life. I'm graduating from college soon so hopfully I'll have some time to work on it before I find myself a "real" job. Otherwise it is never going to happen.

Here is where I am at currently. I'd say 4-5 more days of solid work and I will be ready to start putting down some bondo and primer..... he he he

I also picked up a pile of free parts from a guy in town. I now have two '56 5-bolt rims for the front (need paint and new tires), two 5-bolt rims w/ tires to use as temporary wheels untill I have the other rims powdercoated and new tires installed, a stock DP intake, two '66 down head light assemblies, and some other little stuff as well.

SLobugin'

My Intro
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #12
SLOBugin69
Forum Member

I have been working on by brakes recently. Like everything it was supposed to be quick and easy but one of the tabs that keeps the adjusting star from spinning was broken. I ended up getting a used backing plate with a good tab from a guy in town for free [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/chillin.gif[/img] . Finaly I got everything painted and back together so now I have new brakes. They just need to be bled and adjusted then I am done.

I converted my front brakes to 5-bolt because I kind of like the look of a red smoothie with wide white walls on the front with possibly chrome 4-bolts in the back. The conversion itself was really easy, the only problem I had was that I didn't realize that I would have to get different wheel bolts (to hold the wheel to the drum) also the dust caps that cover the center of the axle are slightly smaller so I need to buy new ones, which I am sure will make it look better anyways.

And this shot reminds me how badly I need to lower the front end... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img]

My Intro