Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by FatDad
- by Bugula
- by DrHax

Old January 25th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #101
speedfreak
Forum Member

security is on custom for internet. if that means anything to you.
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #102
Cobey
Forum Member

Just a little. That is something you would have to play with, maybe with Nick's help, to see if he has something going on that is running afoul of your settings.

Photobucket

-I beat up 7 hippies and all I got was this stupid VW...
http://www.instepdrmartens.com/data/...168971013-2718
Cobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #103
speedfreak
Forum Member

Ya, its just really strange that I get pics in the rest of his albums tho [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] Thanks for the help Cobey!

Larry
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #104
Nick
Forum Member

it's just my gallery, I can do very little on fixing problems if there are any since I didn't write any of the programs. Everything's on default, I've tried on numerous PCs and internet connections but all seems fine. If anyone has a problem with my gallery let me know, click on any of the sub-albums see if you can see the picts or not

http://www.runtrod.com/gallery/main.php

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #105
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

They work for me NIck.

UnkLian.net

FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #106
speedfreak
Forum Member

I really think that its just my computer not reading the pics Nick. I think your site is fine.
like I said, I can see the pics in all of the subalbums except the beetle and busses.

Larry
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #107
Cobey
Forum Member

Have you tried running a different browser? Say, Firefox?

Photobucket

Old January 27th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #108
dailydrivervw
Forum Member

I could use some help with PC problems.
For 2 days now, everything like desktop icons, tool & task bars, any windows that open, is all TOO BIG! It's like being in Texas [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/licklips.gif[/img] This started when we lost power, and when I restarted the PC, it got big everything. Is this something like default settings or something else?

Other prob that I have is I get a notice about "virtual memory is low" ??? I've deleted cookies, temp files, cleared forms. The PC will stall at times, like taking way to long to do any task. Is that low memory?

O/T.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] ... I am just finishing a customer rust job, and it looks like I can get my 50 inside for a few days of fun work. Hope to get it inside before the big storm starting on monday, ending wednesday [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/welderface.gif[/img]

Don't fall for the AT&T rebate BS; you can hold your hand on your a$$ waiting for it. There, I feel better now.
dailydrivervw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #109
Nick
Forum Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dailydrivervw @ Jan 27 2006, 12:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

For 2 days now, everything like desktop icons, tool & task bars, any windows that open, is all TOO BIG! [/b][/quote]

Either your video driver got messed up or the screen reolution got changed. Right-click anywhere on your desktop (not on an icon or folder, just on an empty space on your wallpaper bacground), then click on "Propertires". Go to "Settings", what's your resolution, try to increase it. 800x600 or 1024x768 is typical. If you have no video drivers then iyou can only set it to 640x480

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
Other prob that I have is I get a notice about "virtual memory is low" ??? I've deleted cookies, temp files, cleared forms. The PC will stall at times, like taking way to long to do any task. Is that low memory?[/b][/quote]

Different type of memory. It's talking about buffer memory (for programs to run), not storage space (like files and pictures). How much RAM memory do you have installed. Try not to run unneeded programs in the background since they all take some memory to keep running. Scan for spyware. Delete unneeded programs from starting up in your Startup folder (Start-->Programs->... --> Startup)

Old January 27th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #110
Cobey
Forum Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dailydrivervw @ Jan 27 2006, 09:05 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I could use some help with PC problems.
For 2 days now, everything like desktop icons, tool & task bars, any windows that open, is all TOO BIG! It's like being in Texas [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/licklips.gif[/img] This started when we lost power, and when I restarted the PC, it got big everything. Is this something like default settings or something else?

Other prob that I have is I get a notice about "virtual memory is low" ??? I've deleted cookies, temp files, cleared forms. The PC will stall at times, like taking way to long to do any task. Is that low memory?

O/T.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] ... I am just finishing a customer rust job, and it looks like I can get my 50 inside for a few days of fun work. Hope to get it inside before the big storm starting on monday, ending wednesday [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/welderface.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Big problem - sounds like you just need to change the resolution. Start -> Control Panel -> Display -> Settings

Look under Scree Resolution. Move the slider bar to the right, and then aply the settings. Still too big? Keep moving the slider farther to the right until it's the way you want it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nick @ Jan 27 2006, 09:26 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Different type of memory. It's talking about buffer memory (for programs to run), not storage space (like files and pictures). How much RAM memory do you have installed. Try not to run unneeded programs in the background since they all take some memory to keep running. Scan for spyware. Delete unneeded programs from starting up in your Startup folder (Start-->Programs->... --> Startup)
[/b][/quote]

Virtual memory is the pagefile to the HD, isn't it? So if there isn't enough room on the HD for the pagefile to expand, you will get the same error, correct?

Photobucket

Old January 27th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #111
dailydrivervw
Forum Member

Thank guys, I'll have my son do all that stuff when he gets home.

Don't fall for the AT&T rebate BS; you can hold your hand on your a$$ waiting for it. There, I feel better now.
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #112
dailydrivervw
Forum Member

OK, I fixed the "big" problem with your help, thanks!. But, when I go to "start" - "programs", I don't get a "startup" option.
I get the options of ;

-add or remove programs
-add new programs
-add or remove windows components
-set program access or defaults

When I first click on programs after clicking on start; the page is on the "set program access or defaults. And there are these check boxes:

-computer manufacturer
-microsoft windows
-non-microsoft
-custom

And the Custom is the one thart is checked.

I don't want to mess something up, so that's where I am.

Old January 29th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #113
Unkl Ian

Somewhere on a computer,there is a list of files,and when they were added.

How do I find this list ?

I've got a bad feeling some Scumware snuck past Norton,Ad Aware,Spybot,and Spyware Blaster.
My machine is S L O W and unstable,like it used to get when it was full of Spyware,even though
I've deleted all the history,Temporary files,cookies,and run the Maintainance Wizard a few times.

Usually,that is enough to bring it back to acceptable.

I'm hoping I will find some unwanted,recently installed,files that are causing these problems.

Thanks for any help.

Unkl Ian

UnkLian.net

FlyingEyeballs.net

Old January 31st, 2006, 12:14 AM   #114
Unkl Ian

Deleted over 150M of useless Crap today,that should help a little. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/clapping.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/clapping.gif[/img]

How about Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia Standard 2001 ?
Never used it,not even sure what it is. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

Can it be deleted safely ?

UnkLian.net

FlyingEyeballs.net

Old January 31st, 2006, 04:27 AM   #115
Driveway Jewelry
Forum Member

Encarta is a program that is part of microsoft works suite. Yes you can uninstall it all you want.
Driveway Jewelry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:23 AM   #116
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

<span style="color:#993399">just a word of caution~ supposedly there is a virus that is suppose to activate friday morning,suppose to be targeting home computers and small businesses... I heard about it and went looking in a few tech forums, one was pc pitstop. if your mouse or keyboard freezes up and you restart your computer to get it going again, that's how it gets started. Make sure your security programs are updated. And mainly be smart , don't open stuff in your email if you don't know where it came from . And make sure your sec is updated regularly. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I have avg 7.0 and am thinking about installing the avast too. But main thing, be safe....

hopefully it's just another rumor,,, [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

</span>
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:08 AM   #117
Unkl Ian

I read about that yeasterday,it is designed to spread on the 3rd of every month.

Hopefully,all the big name Ainti-virus programs on on top of it.

Just make sure your definitions are up to date.

UnkLian.net

FlyingEyeballs.net

Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:41 AM   #118
KK916
Forum Member

My stupid school has a parental blocker thing on there servers that prevents me from getting on Soulseek and Livewire. The problem with this is I own most of the CDs I can get my hands on, its the shit that I cant find that I usually download (stuff that wasnt released). Is there any way to get around there firewall thing or am I S.O.L. ??? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yelling.gif[/img]
Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:02 AM   #119
Nick
Forum Member

If it's a server/client setup as with most schools, then the only way it to override the server settings, meaning you're SOL. Also depends on how the client accounts are setup (set by the server), you maybe able to change ports settings for the programs to download the songs. Most likely that won't work on school-tyle accounts though.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:32 AM   #120
KK916
Forum Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] damn
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #121
Unkl Ian

My machine is a lot faster now,and doesn't slow down nearly as often. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/clapping.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

Deleted all the old Installer files for AOL 5.0,AT&T,Earthlink,Prodigy,AIM,and ICQ,
that came with the machine.Plus deleted Trips and Streets,and Encarta.

Downloaded CW Shredder,and MRU Blaster,which deleted over 100 old MRU lists. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Tightened up the settings on Cookies,and reduced the size of the Temp File,from 777mb down to 10mb.
And a bunch of different setting stuff from the ME forum on Annoyances.org .
Running the Maintainance Wizard after every install or removal.

The Resources Available meter is MUCH higher. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/driving.gif[/img]
It even smells better.
------

How many Media Players do I need ?

We have Windows Media Player,Quicktime Player,and I don't know what else.
Something called Learn2player in the Add/remove programs list.What is that ? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img]

How about Outlook Express ? Do I need it for anything ? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

I figure don't touch Works Suite,or Internet Explorer.

--------
Don't want to push my luck too far,so I better ask.

Oppps! is usually followed by $$$$$$ [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/FreakinSmiley.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]

THanks

Ian

UnkLian.net

FlyingEyeballs.net

Old February 6th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #122
Nick
Forum Member

Internet Explorer: keep it. Even if oyu don't use it it can be used for local file browsing.
Outlook Express: only keep it if you use it to send/recieve email. Safe to uninstall
Media Player: you only need 1 version. Though it usually has the old ass version along side the new version. It's just used to play video and music files. Keep it installed unless you don't care about any sound on your PC.
Work Suite: uninstall it if not needed. It's just a crappy version of Microsfot Office (Word, etc). Contains Wordpad and stuff. Safe to remove
Quicktimes: only useful to play Quicktime video files (*.MOV) Safe to uninstall if not needed.

Learn2Player: no idea what that is. I assume it's safe to uninstall.

Old February 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #123
Unkl Ian

Learn2player and Viewpoint Media Player -GONE ! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/clapping.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Deleted a bunch of old pics,and moving others onto floppys.

Now for the stupid part.

It appears I have 2 copies of Micro$oft Outlook
and 3 copies of Micro$oft Power Point !

If I want to keep one copy of each,just for now,
can I just use Uninstall to remove the extra copies one at a time ?

Or will it uninstall all copies of the same program at once ? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

No wonder the machine was so slow.

UnkLian.net

FlyingEyeballs.net

Old February 7th, 2006, 05:36 AM   #124
Nick
Forum Member

That's a tough call. Sometimes when you upgrade it'll list both versions on there so when you uninstall it'll uninstall both, or just one but will make the other version unuseable since it removed needed files. Best to keep them as is if you need to use the program. Unless you have the installation discs, remove both of them them reinstall.

Old February 7th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #125
Unkl Ian

Maybe I'll quit screwing with that one,before I Fuck it up completely. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/FreakinSmiley.gif[/img]

----------------------
On to the next disaster.

Has anyone got Windows 98se on floppy that I can borrow ?

The POS laptop (Panasonic Toughbook CF-27) I bought came without
an operating system,or CD drive.

So now the local computer guy who was going to install the OS
doesn't have any way to load it.Won't Boot from the USB,he doesn't
have a CD drive that will fit,the hard drive won't fit anything else he has. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crybaby.gif[/img]

Piss me Off. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]

Any suggestions ?

UnkLian.net

FlyingEyeballs.net

Tags
computer, computer help, computer help desk, pos computer, qwerty