Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by alykat
- by alykat

Old March 9th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #1
joedirt
Forum Member

Thumbs down

Ok...So we've had the newbie slamming thread and quite rightfully so but now I'm gonna help my fellow newbies and probably myself! The plan is this.....

After much deliberation I have decided to bite the bullet and use my daily driver as my base for my first fenderless volksrod!...what I'm going to do is do a complete step by step account of my build taking in every aspect of it from the removal of the wings..to fitting the extender kit etc. It will include full photos, an updated project cost and parts list and i'll include links to as many tech articles and information as I go!

but why?....well I see myself as your average newbie...I know very little mechanical stuff, just the basics...and my tool kit consists of very basic stuff. I have no garage so its all gonna be done outdoors and at present I'm not even allowed on the (freshly paved) drive so it may all be done in the street!! This means that I probably represent the majority of the fresh faces and so I think it would be cool to see a newbies trials and tribulations of building his first rod!

Also this means that all the newbies can see me going through how to do most of the stuff they ask for constantly and can post all the dumb questions here....(mutters) and I can post mine here too....ahem..anyway...I will be updating almost daily so this should never leave the first few pages so if a newbie starts asking dumb questions elsewhere they deserve a thrashing!! I know this technicaly is for the project/members intro, but if a newbie wont even look on the second page of the cutting board then I doubt they'll even get to the intros!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]

so lets begin.....what have we got...

The car...lets name it the "dirt mobile"

Qutie a long story with this car but i'll keep it short...lord knows I've ranted on enough already!.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] I'd been lookin for a bug for ages and my mum told me that a friend of hers had one just sitting. I went to have a look and found a 1971 base model 1200 that was pale blue with a yellow bonnet!...on closer inspection it was rough..it had been standing for five years as it was the ladies daughters car and she had apparently just dumped it and gone off to uni!...I had a look around it and found that the floor pans were solid but the heater channels had gone and grass had replaced them...

I probably should have walked away but went with my heart and bought it for the grand sum of 50...bout $80-90ish....fast forward about three years and the car was still in my garage...I hadnt touched it...decided to do something with my life and joined college and needed transport so got my mums (now ex) husband to help me weld her up...did the channels, A-post bottoms, inner front arches at the bottom etc...funnily enough with new points and leads she started and gave me reliable service for a few years till I left home to go to university...

(is this keeping it short?....fuck me!)..at the time I couldnt afford to keep her and go to uni so I sold her to a mate (gutted). Once my money situation had improved at uni I started to look for another bug and a few months later I heard my bug was back up for sale, and it was my best mate who was selling it!!...A few weeks later she was mine once more and continued to give me reliable service to the end of my uni days...that leads me to today!

At present shes off the road with carb troubles but i'm getting a new one through the post this week! This is part of the reason I decided to rod her...shes now satin black, still got the 1200 (keeps insurance down here!) and so far I've changed, front wings to early, put in porsche 911 headlights, semi w decklid, and a lowered front beam with adjusters...oh and I dropped the back one spline!

Shes still solid as a rock underneath as I've kept on top of her and I think shes the ideal project car for a newbie as late model bugs are easy to find and most of the ones you'll see are usually modded in a similar way.....SO.. if your still awake, or not off pervin at GNF....lets get started...I'm off out now to get this baby started!

Total cost so far...around 700 which includes buying it back and the parts I've fitted!

Stay tuned!
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #2
Nick
Forum Member

Doesn't hurt to have more step by step process of work [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

That's basically what I've been doing with my site. I never touched a welder before stripping apart my project, been workin outdoors the entire time, only had a welder and minimal tools, spent about $500? in materials so far, but I think I passed newbie technical level though. But just goes to show you that you don't need years of expereince to do major mods yourself.

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #3
btrghia
Forum Member

I think this is great! I just brought home a 60 bug vert that I was going to do the same thing to prove you do not have to have a fat wallet to build a cool car. good luck joedirt I will be watching.

Tucson, Az
btrghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:06 AM   #4
joedirt
Forum Member

Ok...day one complete!....result?.....this:

see all the days photos here:
day one!!

Got stuck in and removed all four fenders....it went something like this

Fixed my flat back tyre by putting on the bald bias ply spare...then I wanted to get the front wings/fenders off first but realised it wasnt going to happen with the car on the ground as its way too low!...to get my car up I had to use a small jack to lift the car up enough to get my main trolley jack under the beam...grr...

Once up I popped it on to two axle stands under the front beam at each side...then I realised I hadnt slackened off the wheel nuts so had to put it back down and do it again!!....Lesson one kids!..remember to slacken the wheel nuts!!...once it was up (again) I took the wheels off and had good access to the fender bolts located under the fenders...using a 13mm ratchet (i think) I removed all the nuts (bout 6 a side or more..dont forget the ones bolted to the running boards!

Before I took the bolts right out I removed the front bumper and headlamps and fed the wires back through the headlamp bowls. Taped them up out the way and removed the wing...simple enough...followed the same method for the other 3 wings....and removed the running boards at the same time!....jobs done...

Took a couple of hours mainly due to countless old guys walking past and telling me old VW stories...its interesting but when you want to get on...anyways..pleased with what i got done...no nasty suprises and everything still seems rock solid!...the only problems are a small hole in the front beam at the bottom of the shock tower and some really odd switches located in the engine bay that when switched, turn off the rear lights??? wtf?...only a problem as they'll have to be taken care of before I start cutting out the inner arches and valance...

One other thing i knew was there was that my front tyres were bald on the inner edge and most of the middle which i assume is due to poor alignment...i'll be sure to fix this as it eats the tyres real quick....will probably get back out tomorrow and start measuring up and working out where to cut the inner arches and valances...going to my local hardware store tonight to buy a nice reciprocating saw for the job!!

Oh almost forgot...Also might be able to chop up the rear bumper i took off for cycle fenders for the front...i'll be keeping them as tiny as the law allows and mounted at the rear of the tyre at the top so theyre hardly visible...black paint will help!

Total Cost so far....0.00...Parts needed...0

Tools used....Two Jacks, A hammer, 13mm Ratchet, Craft Knife, Electrical Tape, Philips Head Screwdriver, Pair of Axle Stands, ratchet and makeshift breaker bar for the wheel bolts...cant remember the size?....not bad!
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #5
pistolpete76
Pinstriper Extraordinaire

give it hell Joe Dirt!
pistolpete76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #6
joedirt
Forum Member

Starting to look at cutting out the metal work...heres my initial ideas...the solid green line shows the basic cut and the dashed line shows how it could obviously be made a more aesthetically pleasing line...dont know too much about this plus i'm aiming to get a frame extender from lancelot so i'm gona email him tonight for advice as i should be able to keep my standard tank with his kit...heres a link to that kit for anyone interested...

frame extender

i'll post his reply later..in the mean time...anybody see why this wouldnt work??...i'd obviously pull the tank out before i start cutting!
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #7
pistolpete76
Pinstriper Extraordinaire

i admire your action bro, just the other day joe sent me a PM and was stil up in the air about fenderless or not and now look at the dude, goin all out, thumbs up to ya man thats motivation
pistolpete76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #8
dez
Forum Member

scott, i recon they look better with out the stock tank, as you can cut a much more pleasing curve-

thats a constant curve from the corner of the front bulkhead, starting vertical, right round to where the front 1/4 dissapears at the top of the wing. only thing is it runs halfway across the fuel tank hole.. if you dont want to shell out for a new fuel tank, how about cutting a hole the same size in the rear luggage floor, and dropping it in there above the gearbox?? i think that would look pretty cool, and it would be easily removable for starter access, etc. youd have to run the filler neck out into the rear 1/4 or wheelarch though.

and at the rear, bear in mind you have to cut through the engine bay side trays as well, which is very difficult to do with the engine in.
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #9
joedirt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dez@Mar 9 2005, 08:41 PM
scott, i recon they look better with out the stock tank, as you can cut a much more pleasing curve-

thats a constant curve from the corner of the front bulkhead, starting vertical, right round to where the front 1/4 dissapears at the top of the wing. only thing is it runs halfway across the fuel tank hole.. if you dont want to shell out for a new fuel tank, how about cutting a hole the same size in the rear luggage floor, and dropping it in there above the gearbox?? i think that would look pretty cool, and it would be easily removable for starter access, etc. youd have to run the filler neck out into the rear 1/4 or wheelarch though.

and at the rear, bear in mind you have to cut through the engine bay side trays as well, which is very difficult to do with the engine in.
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
hmm...now theres food for thought.....i'm gonna mail you again tonight dez cos i'm sure your not getting my emails...cheers for the advice though dude!! speak to ya in a bit!!....

and cheers for the thumbs up pete...i was a bit touch and go but f-it...its time for action!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Old March 9th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #10
Turd Ferguson
Forum Member

Two good shots from socalook.com to give you an idea where they cut...

Old March 9th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #11
swoodard23
Forum Member

I removed my rear apron back to where the engine meets the transmission with the engine in the car. It was not easy, you have to be very careful. I have a 74. I cut back to where two peices were welded together, bent the apron down, and then completed the cut to remove the rear apron. I took the engine out later, it just made it easier.
Scott
swoodard23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #12
joedirt
Forum Member

Here we are at the end of Day 2!...

See All todays photos here!

Didnt have a lot of time today but did the following...

First off I wanted to get a better look at the engine bay so I removed the two soundproofing panels from either side. They're held in place by little fold over tabs. I pulled them back and was able to get behind them to take a look at these odd switches:

As I mentioned earlier they turn the rear lights on or off???...anyways they were in the way so i unscrewed them from the panels and pulled the insulation out the way. Then I could see the wiring in full:

Dont see why you'd need these switches so I plan on removing them but for now I unplugged all the wiring from the connection blocks and got it out the way:

I know I forget stuff so I made a diagram just to be on the safe side!....once these were out the way I could see clearly into the bay but removed my ht leads etc to give me a bit more room...With a bit of thought and some measuring i decided upon cutting here if its possible:

I like the look of this so as long as nobody sees a reason I cant do this I'll go ahead...I'm making templates from card to ensure the same cut on both sides!

Once this was done I took a look at the front and decided to remove the tank to get a better look!...I unbolted the four bolts/clips holding the tank in and undid the two earth screws for the lights so that i could pull the wiring right back...I then lifted the tank up and propped it with a hammer to keep it up out the way. Then I unscrewed the jubilee clip to the gooseneck on the bottom of the tank and quickly pulled the flexi hose off and tilted the tank right back before i got soaked in petrol...I had done this once before so knew what to expect and managed to do it with only a minor spillage!!

Once up and out I used a spare bit of hose and a clip and bunged it with a philips screwdriver and clamped it firm..I then popped the other end onto the goose neck and clamped it so that no more petrol could escape!....now i could see the inner arches etc and assesed where to make the cuts...

other than a shit load of sand it looked all good...no holes or anything...as for the cut at the front, well dez is completely right in saying that if you lose the stock tank it will look tons better but I'm not confident enough yet to start messing with fuel tanks plus my budget is tight as it is so...

As I'm planning on using lancelots kit I emailed him and showed him my idea and he seems confident that I can cut as marked in the picture above...this will allow me to keep the stock tank for now and i'll look more into a tank change later down the line...by cutting here I should be able to keep a good amount of strength...sadly it wont be as nice a cut as a sweeping curve but it will do the job for now!.

So that was basicly the days work...my questions for the day are...Whats better for cutting?...using a grinder or a reciprocating saw?...or a combo of both...i was planning on hacking off the bulk of the metal with a grinder and leaving a couple of inches to play with..this would give me better access to get the recip saw in and cut neat to my lines...what do you think??

Also once I cut the front panel I take it its ok to remove these two mounting holes the got to the top of the beam?...or will I have to cut below to clear them?...I'd like to get rid of them really!!??

cheers folks!

Total Cost...0.00...Parts used...0

Tools used: 13mm ratchet, straight head screwdriver, Bit of flexi hose and jubilee clip, philips head screwdriver, some wd40, and a hammer.
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #13
btrghia
Forum Member

once you make your cut those bolts will not be doing anything. no problems running without them.
lookin good can wait to see the cuuting to begin.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

Tucson, Az
btrghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #14
joedirt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by btrghia@Mar 10 2005, 06:27 PM
once you make your cut those bolts will not be doing anything. no problems running without them.
lookin good can wait to see the cuuting to begin.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]
yup me too...looks like i've convinced my mum to let me back on the drive and off the road if i put some big tarps down so as long as its dry tomorrow i'm gonna make the first incision...haha...just mailed you actually!
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #15
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

I would start with a recip saw leaving a little extra metal and then use the grinder to smooth everything out. Have you posted a rendering on what your car is going to look like yet? Or are you going to make us wait until its finished? Good luck and thanks for the post. .......Tim
Turbo Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #16
hotrodheb

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo Punk@Mar 10 2005, 07:07 PM
Have you posted a rendering on what your car is going to look like yet? Or are you going to make us wait until its finished? Good luck and thanks for the post. .......Tim
Here you go!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #17
joedirt
Forum Member

cheers rob...i was just about to do that!!
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #18
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

Sweet!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img] Now I remember seeing it in an earlier post. Can't wait to see the finished product . .....Tim
Turbo Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:11 AM   #19
joedirt
Forum Member

Day 3....Update!

God its been a long weekend...sadly not on the car!, my girlf had the flu plus I had a ton of nagging jobs and paperwork to go through so the car didnt see much action till today.

So where was I?

Oh yeah I had removed the fuel tank all four wings and was about to start cutting and thats exactly what I did today....I had marked out roughly where I wanted my final cuts and decided to use the trusty grinder to remove most of the metal upto about 2 inches from this mark.

I figured I'd get most of it out the way and then re-measure and make the final neat cuts with a bit more room to play with. This started off well but it soon became obvious that I would need a recip saw to get to all the places I needed to get to. Also although i can get away with leaving the engine in, I am gonna have to remove the front beam to get access properly at the front.

so starting at the front....

after a bit of messing around i managed to remove the front valance/wheel well...as you can see i still need to cut a fair amount off and i'm aiming for a nice neat line about 1.5-2 inches below where the tank fits in. As i'd mentioned earlier, it would look a lot better if i could change the tank and cut more out but i'm still not keen. I'm going to have a sit down tonight and try and work out a nice shape to finish off the front inner arches with...something other than a really square looking cut!

I think once the beam is out the way and i get my ass down to the store and pick up a decent saw i'll be able to make a nice job of the front...(better than the franken cut its got now!...also two things i noticed today are that 1: the inner wheel arch on the pass side is well crumpled just as it reaches where i cut off so i guess the old girl had had an accident at some point!...not a huge problem but it means i'll have to do my best to straighten out whats left whilst i smooth out the arches as best i can!...the second thing was that my front beam has two rather large holes in at the bottom of the shock towers which is pretty shit news...I'm either going to have to buy a new one or source a secondhand one or repair mine...the main reason i dont want to repair my own is that it will probably need plating as the holes are large and it will look shitty now you can see the beam clearly...

suppose thats one thing to remember and budjet for the unexpected!

was quite pleased with the above photo...also i'm pleased to be back on the drive and out the way of the traffic and wind!...anyways...so i moved onto the back and did the same...i cut a couple of inches before my final cut mark but unfortunately i couldnt get the grinder in deep enough to remove the rear valance...again i'll need a decent saw!...

So that was another bit of work done...i'm calling my dad tonight to see if he has a recip saw or similar before i go buying one but if not i'll try and pick one up tomorrow!....with the right saw maybe i can make a bit more progress! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

i'll leave you with the last photo taken of the car today...damn its ugly...i need that frame extender...tyres....lights....new beam....saw....(walks off muttering)

Old March 14th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #20
hotrodheb

Looking good Scott! Definately time to go buy a sawzall!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #21
joedirt
Forum Member

Day 4..well a couple of hours anyway!

Didnt have much time again today, but my dad had a sawzall which was awesome...i'm definately getting one of my own as it made light work of the cutting and the finish was soo neat!

I did invest in some new piranha blades which helped!

so what got done....

see all todays pics here!

Well I started off by jacking up the back end and throwing two axle stands under the swing axles...really you should remove the wheels for better access but i was feeling lazy plus i'll remove them when i make my final cuts.

Lying on my back..with safety goggles and gloves!!...I could get a good view of the inner arch that needed to be cut in order to free the valance from the car and with a suprisingly easy cut it was done...repeat for the other side!

Once this was done I reached in with a craft knife and split the engine seal and pulled the whole rear section out!

with this out the way I moved to the front and removed the middle section under the tank that held the two mounting holes for the top of the beam....like so:

I then put the car back down at the rear and made plans for the final cuts...using a roll of old wallpaper and some clear plastic i made a template that can be transfered to either side...

Once I had this sorted I brought it inside and I'll re-do it in a stiff card!

I was going to do the front but I might be getting a spun style tank from dez at the weekend so I might be cutting out a load more metal yet!!....so thats another bit done!!

Total Cost so far: 7.08 for the saw blades! x2

Tools used: A trolley jack, Two axle stands, Sawzall, masking tape, roll over wallpaper, a decent marker pen, and a tape measure!
Old March 16th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #22
vwcalbug
Forum Member

hey...that nice new driveway looks AWESOME!!! Dont you dare drop oil on it.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]

oh, car looks great too [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

your one your way to having a kickass car with an easy, doable amount of work! -JustinD

Its Cut, Weld, Drive!!!

Current Project: 2017cc w/ aj simms 40x35 heads, web 218, cb super race crank 78mm, cb supercase, 46mm aj simms kadrons, 1.25 rockers, aircooled SLR'd lifters.

Have it built out to the pistons and cylinders, ready for heads
vwcalbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #23
joedirt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vwcalbug@Mar 16 2005, 07:02 PM
hey...that nice new driveway looks AWESOME!!! Dont you dare drop oil on it.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]

oh, car looks great too [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

your one your way to having a kickass car with an easy, doable amount of work! -JustinD
haha you sounded just like me mum then....i'd be in for the sawzall treatment if i got oil on the drive!.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek1.gif[/img]
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #24
funkypunk89
Forum Member

what the hell is a drive for if you cant drop oil on it!?
funkypunk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #25
joedirt
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by funkypunk89@Mar 17 2005, 08:59 PM
what the hell is a drive for if you cant drop oil on it!?
exactly my friend....exactly!

Tags
how to build a vr, newbie guide