Total Online: 515

Newest Member: J&P

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by JiI

Old March 24th, 2018, 12:43 PM   #1
DrHax
Forum Member

Default Putting the weld in Cut... Weld... Drive.
Re:: Lincoln tombstone welder.   

Been a long while since I've posted. I figured you guys will like my current project.

Life's been taking an interesting turn. Long story short I'm
Gonna try to move to Austin TX some time this year. In the meanwhile I need to fix up a bunch of my shit and I need a welder.

I'm a GTAW welder by profession. So yeah tig baby tig! Welding aluminum right now.

Anyways my Chinese shit fluxcore welder died after 3 years of abuse I mean use.

Well it wasn't a good welder. But it worked.

Well I need something reliable that weld sheet metal and is cheap. Looked at the habor freight Vulcan line up of welders I just don't trust the reliability.

So fuck now what? Well I got my Lincoln tombstone welder the AC-225 modified with high frequency so it welds great for thick stuff. Not thin. No control on the fly.

Wish it had a pedal. Did some research turns out that's possible!

http://hildstrom.com/projects/ac-225/

I got parts coming and I've done my research. Luckily now eBay has a bunch of 220v 10000watt SCR dimmer switches with pots built into them. My plan? Is to replace the pot with a foot pedal interrupt the power going to the power switch. This will allow for control of the system. Keep yeah guys posted.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 11:46 AM   #2
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Default Re: Putting the weld in Cut... Weld... Drive.

Do you have Northern Tool stores near you? They carry HOBART which turns out to be a decent unit most times. Especially for the money in light duty welders. If you are interested in buying the best... well save yer munney and get the best you can afford in the better brands. I like Miller over Lincoln and Esab builds some nice stuff too. If you want to dig, Harbor freight will do it for cheap if you're completely insane. Hell buy their hundred dollar stick welder buzz box if you're going to HF... I have seen the welder dudes on YouTube do some pretty decent demos of it. Seems to be great for the money.

Last edited by SCOTTRODS; March 29th, 2018 at 03:27 AM.
SCOTTRODS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 01:33 PM   #3
alykat
Site Supporter

My old Hobart 170 does just fine. On really heavy stuff you have to do shorter burns and let it catch its breath a bit, but it is over all a very dependable machine.
Old March 25th, 2018, 04:17 PM   #4
carwhisperer
Forum Member

I paid $950 shipped for an Eastwood mig machine and a plasma cutter. The mig came with an extra spool gun for aluminum. The bottle cost another $250 I think. They are OK. There are some lastic parts that make me weary but Iíve been using them probably 2 hrs a week of duty time for 3 years now.

But it sounds like you have things figured out
carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 06:20 PM   #5
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

"things Figured out" ? I didn't follow about 90% of what he was showing us. Let's hear it for my old Lincoln stick welder, ancient oxy/acetylene rig, and thirty-five year old 110 MIG.
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 03:06 AM   #6
Bugula
Forum Member

Wow, I'm old. I remember when my father bought one of the first 110 Hobart migs and it was about 35 years ago.
Bugula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 07:01 AM   #7
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Um, you're old? I swapped a t-shirt design for my Miller 110 MIG from 'Stormin' Norman', a buddy who had won it at the oval track races in Ukiah. He already had a 220 MIG. Hmm, that was in '84, so it's only about 34 years old. The Victor torch set, I bought in Feb of '72, a couple of months after I got home from Vietnam and began my Corvair powered Baja VW project. I rented or borrowed stick welders until '97 or '98 when I found the Lincoln 'buzz box' at a garage sale down the street. Cost me fifty bucks, but I had to buy a new ground clamp.
Time sure flies when you're building fun.
Old March 26th, 2018, 08:36 AM   #8
Bugula
Forum Member

Yeah I would say it was 83', 84'. Maybe a tad earlier. 110 migs were new on the scean. I was in HS. He soon moved up to a used 220 Miller. All for stockcar work.
Old March 26th, 2018, 11:15 AM   #9
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Growing up around race cars sound pretty cool.
Old March 26th, 2018, 01:03 PM   #10
Bugula
Forum Member

It was. Between that and years of heavy metal, my hearing is shot. Constant ringing.
Old March 27th, 2018, 09:15 AM   #11
carwhisperer
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugula View Post
It was. Between that and years of heavy metal, my hearing is shot. Constant ringing.
Tinnitus! I have it too:(
I credit angle grinders and chop saws. I wear ear protection now. Have you found anything that helps?
Old March 27th, 2018, 09:28 AM   #12
Bugula
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwhisperer View Post
Tinnitus! I have it too:(
I credit angle grinders and chop saws. I wear ear protection now. Have you found anything that helps?
Actually haven't tried. Took me years to realize not everyone has it. Lol
I just heard the over the counter stuff doesn't work.
Old March 27th, 2018, 05:12 PM   #13
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

My tinnitus came from my stint in the Army in Vietnam. Turns out, according to VA doctors, there is nothing available to lessen the ringing. I wear 3M brand earplugs called 'Skull Screws,' which are very inexpensive and much better than the expensive custom made ones. I can no longer go to the movies or places which play loud music because it makes the ringing worse. This is even with the ear plugs.
As a defense against the constant ringing, my brain, such that it is, keeps music running through my head. I tend to prefer oldies, Country, and modern work such as Maroon 5, and
Old March 27th, 2018, 08:22 PM   #14
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

My ears are always ringing. Got it from marching band. Had the drumline right behind me. I wear earplugs all the time now when I'm in the shop, mowing or using any machinery. It really sucks.
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 07:35 AM   #15
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

A buddy I've known since high school tells me, "If I knew I'd be getting this old, I would have taken better care of myself."
Old March 28th, 2018, 07:21 PM   #16
DrHax
Forum Member

Hah. I missed you crazy lot. Anyways this is an excerise in A ) Chucking it in the fuck it bucket. B ) Doing something because I can. C ) using what I got to the best of my advantage.

The lincoln buzz box I bought from a harley guy who bought it new back in 1972 and used it to make his living repairing harley's and choppers. He modified it with an external high frequency module and used it as a heliarc machine to repair aluminum covers when people would drop the bike. He'd also weld up the iron v-twin engines using nickel rod

It's a hell of a stable machine and they don't make them like this anymore. Thick copper wiring and everything is easy to work with and reliable.

I'm slowly buying the parts needed to continue this project. the pedal came in and its really nice. Even has a dial on it to adjust the max amps at the pedal!

Also lets be honest how many people can say "Oh yeah I made my tig welder."

Built not bought?

I normally wouldn't attempt this if I didn't have everything here as it sits. But this welder has never let me down. Hell theres even some people who some how are able to make the freaking DC connection on these things work with an external mig machine

Now that... that sounds like something I'd love to do latter on.

once I start hacking into stuff I'll post up pictures and explain everything thats going on.

To better explain how this pedal concept works.

you have the 240 volts going into the power switch then that goes into the transformer and magic happens

The pedal circuit is put in before the power switch to limit the 240 voltage going into it on the fly.

meaning you instead of lets say 75 amps you can now get between roughly a minimum of 5-20 to all the way up to the 75 on the selector dial.

thats the concept and it i've seen it work. These old school welders are reliable and last a hell of a lot longer than their modern counterparts. Love me the new tig machines but at the price point and considering what I'm working with it ain't worth the money.

Next batch of parts i'm looking at is a making a Dc rectifier to allow this AC buzz box to weld DC

I'm going to have to modify the inputs of the high frequency module to make it more compatible with everything but this is nothing.

*rubs hands together* This will be fun.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2018, 06:06 PM   #17
carwhisperer
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
My tinnitus came from my stint in the Army in Vietnam. I can no longer go to the movies or places which play loud music because it makes the ringing worse. This is even with the ear plugs.
Same here. Going to the movies is one of my favorite pastimes to do with regular people. I wear earplugs there and I have a decibel meter on my phone, but Iím reaching the conclusion that I should stop that. I look pretty young for my age but Iím like an old dude when it comes to that. Most churches even seem to have music thatís too loud.

Iím adding a 3rd muffler to the LS1 mini truck to quiet it down so I can drive it without earplugs. My audiologist said 85 DB or below, which means I canít even drive my new/old Mini Cooper with the windows down, let alone a convertible
Old April 2nd, 2018, 06:41 PM   #18
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

As far as the ringing in my ears go, could be from listening to loud music, or could be from years of working in a machine shop, the place I worked at before I got sick the boss didn't think he was cutting deep and fast enough unless it was squeeling, ear plugs didn't help a bit, but then again my mom's ears started ringing when she was in her mid 40's, that's about when mine started, I can't sleep without the TV on or a radio on, plus if I Don't have a radio on I'm singing or talking to myself just to drown out the ringing, it's terrible,especially when it pulsates like a heart beat

I bought a 110 volt Century mig welder back in 94, you can hook a bottle up to it or use flux core, I haven't tried aluminum or stainless with it but according to the manual it will do them
I also have a 220 volt Hobat 200 amp arc welder, I couldn't tell you how old it is, it's about 40 inches tall and the foot print is about 24 inches square and weighs about 300 lbs, a few years ago the adjustments stopped working, I think it's mainly from the moisture when the temps change, one a these days I'll fix it, I did have 300 feet of cable that someone stole a few years ago, pretty sure it was a friend of one of my son's, I did manage to trade some woodworking tools to get 150 feet of cable back, needless to say I now can't use it to weld down under my carport
I keep a close eye on things now, I got to comfortable leaving the door open when coming in to eat, I lock it up if I'm going in the house to get a drink now

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote