Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 16,684
Threads: 31,657
Total Online: 86

Newest Member: oddballrunt

Latest Threads
- by OKpig
- by JiI

Old April 27th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #1
MatteBlack
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I grew in Beetles and Ghias as a kid. Modded VWs were part of what made dad cool at the age when we all think they are. I went down the "import scene" path for a bit and it just seemed so hollow and all money driven. Now I finally got enough change to play with something that is not my daily driver and have fallen in love with all "RatRods" I have seen cropping up all over.

I was not sure which way i'd go, Bike, early ford...what have you but, it was gonna bee stripped down, a driver, individual and cool.

This week I picked up a decent '67 with an oval window graft. Smooth body and a nice coat of primer. I have been looking in all the mags and through the web and low and behold, The VW Streetrod!.....It will be mine.

Once I get her running smooth and registered, I go to stage1. Restored Chrome, Red 5 lugs, white walls, euro bumpers and some liberal pinstiping. Mexi-blanket and giant shifter are optional.

Once I get her out and about and use to the ways of the VW, I plan on stage 2. lowered and stretched front suspension, chopped fenders and aprons (roof?, we'll see, I am 6'6"), lakepipes and the hi-po motor.

I am going to do my homework while enjoying her in the short turn. Any advice is always welcome but, I am glad i found theis site and forum. I am sure it will help alot.

LT
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #2
MatteBlack
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The Swap Meet paid off with a pair of airplane seats for 20 bucks. I think they will be awesome and can you get more hotrod than putting lightweight airplane parts on a car.

New exhaust is on but may be a bit loud for inspection, we'll see.

Being new to this all, it is kind of wierd to be planning on two levels. Pulling together a solid, safe, legal vehicle that I will be happy with while visions of full-on customs dance in my head for the future.

BTW, after meeting and interacting with some of you and seeing the info available here, I am so glad I found this site. I am really excited!
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #3
MatteBlack
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Got her out and on the road Saturday. My Hours in DMV rewarded me with a nice sunny drive to shake her down and see what I need to do next. It was really great and I got more smiles than my tuner car ever got.

She seems pretty solid but I wonder how much life the motor has left. The oil it burns combined with a few small holes in the floor started to get a bit old. The clutch does little until the last inch and the throttle sticks a bit and water seemed to leak in from everywhere when i tried to wash her down a but, beyond the engine, some petal adjustments and door and window seals seem to be all I need. (yeah, right)

The custom stuff I can't wait for. Mounting up the airplane seats and some sort of interior to deaden the cherry bomb muffled exhaust should definitely improve the driving experience.

On a whim, I asked the local Tatoo shop if they had anyone who did pin-striping and found a guy who owns a '54 Chevy who seems pretty good and willing to work cheap. We are both thinking over some designs to plan it out further. I am thinking about flames running back over the front fenders from the headlights and some freestyle striping in the hood and lid recesses.
Old June 5th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #4
MatteBlack
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

yay!

Flames and stripes are done plus, some cheap leftover motorcycle mirrors. She really looks much more finished :) Hopefully, Pix to follow soon.
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:03 PM   #5
MatteBlack
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Got some of my throttle and breaking woes sorted out right before the litchfield show and she is really driving quite nice now but hanging my bike off the back and driving across the grass mad me painfully aware of just how low the back sits.

Picked up some signal lenses and rear oval window to correct some of the previous owner's overspray and upgrade to glass instead of plexi. Dave one of the CVA guys who won the superbeetle class hooked me up with the window and installed it after the show.
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #6
MatteBlack
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: This is gonna be great!

Well, not sure if it was ever great but, it certainly was fun sometimes.

After sitting too long, I traded my '67 Oval for some paint and body work on my daily driver. I feel like both of us got a good deal on it and it allows me to pocket the insurance cash and put it toward a jeep project I have been wanting to try. At least she's going to a good home with a chance of getting back on the streets.

Thank you to everyone here who was such a big help to me in enjoying my bug.