Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,477
Threads: 32,236
Total Online: 531

Newest Member: 36wildroadster

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:37 PM   #1
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

Ok... Now that the Panty Buncher's on the road (thanks SpringMeet Gang!)... I can't leave well enough alone. I want to be able to switch things around a little bit. I love my big n' littles I got on there now, and plan to keep em by all means, but being able to change the look a little when I get the urge... would rock!

I got a deal on a set of 16" '35 Ford wire wheels and I want to be able to switch back and forth, so drilling the drums for the 5 on 5 1/2" pattern won't work for me. I checked all the sources I can think of, but could find no one that carries the wheel adapters for the wide 5 VW pattern to the 5x 5 1/2" Ford.

Any suggestions out there?? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

Thanks guys and gals... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:39 PM   #2
Turd Ferguson
Forum Member

Unless I misunderstand, there are places that will custom make any size adapter. I seem to recall someone on here quoting a price when the subject was brought up, I'll look and see.

Edit: Ok, I feel like I'm not understanding what you're asking about, because there is a thread in the "Too Lazy" thread about adapters to Early Ford Wires...I feel like I run the risk of having my account launched into outer space by suggesting that you didn't look there but...if the shoe fits... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?show...985&hl=adapters
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:02 PM   #3
Nick
Forum Member

Another thread.

http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9985

Billet adapters is pretty much the only ways to get them, plus the limited selection of tire$ to use them are pricey as well. Or buy new modern repros with more standard lug patterns and cheaper tires, rims costs more but everythign else is cheaper. Either way it's going ot be $$. Main reason why I dropped mine from my project.

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:24 PM   #4
crack monkey
Capt A's super package

Quote:
Originally posted by Turd Ferguson@May 23 2005, 11:39 PM
Unless I misunderstand, there are places that will custom make any size adapter. I seem to recall someone on here quoting a price when the subject was brought up, I'll look and see.

Edit: Ok, I feel like I'm not understanding what you're asking about, because there is a thread in the "Too Lazy" thread about adapters to Early Ford Wires...I feel like I run the risk of having my account launched into outer space by suggesting that you didn't look there but...if the shoe fits... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
steve just got owned [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
crack monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:39 PM   #5
PAPA_SMURF
Forum Member

aim industries, $50.00 a pop, they will make anything you want, but they charge you up the ass in shipping $29.00 for all four (or two...or one)

66 schwinn, 04 Jetta
https://www.facebook.com/joe.lynch.739
vwclubofhawaii.ning.com
PAPA_SMURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:13 AM   #6
Steve

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by crack monkey+May 23 2005, 09:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crack monkey @ May 23 2005, 09:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Turd Ferguson@May 23 2005, 11:39 PM

steve just got owned [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Well no shit, I read the Lazy Thread and did searches...
And if you read those threads you'll see where they were having the same problem as I am... No one seems to be able to make them with the wide 5 VW pattern..

I've made some calls and emails as well. No luck with that pattern.

Hence this post you fucking assholes. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/fingerclear.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/fingerclear.gif[/img]

I haven't tried AIM Industries yet, but will do that today. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Thanks guys! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Love, me. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img]
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #7
walt
Forum Member

Dayzwalker, You want to help you brother out here? Where did you get your adapters?

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #8
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

have you tried

Fred Goeske
Design Deluxe
21300 Deering court
Canoga Park, CA 91304
Voice (818)992-5700
Fax (818)992-0325
www.wheeladapter.com

fred is pretty cool and was very helpful when i spoke to him a couple years ago. also has a link on his site for instant price quotes.
vwfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #9
purplepeopleeater
Forum Member

I have wide 5 adapters on my 66....don't even know what kinda rim they are on (5 bolt pattern) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]
purplepeopleeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #10
Nick
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by purplepeopleeater@May 24 2005, 10:19 AM
I have wide 5 adapters on my 66....don't even know what kinda rim they are on (5 bolt pattern) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]
Won't work, early Ford wide 5s are different the your typical Ford patterns. Nobody ever made any mass produced adapters for these patterns.

Old May 25th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #11
btrghia
Forum Member

if adapters can be purchased ready made I think you are looking at some big bucks to have them made. I think a whole set of redrilled drums would be cheaper.. yea you would have to swap out the whole drum but it not that big of a deal..If I remember right Dave McCormick had 5x5.5 drums from so-cal.

Tucson, Az
btrghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #12
btrghia
Forum Member

also if you need tire there are some on ebay that seem to be a good deal, I did a search under bias ply and they came up(too lazy/dumb to link)

Tucson, Az
btrghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #13
rottenpop
Forum Member

So,I know this wont work for Steve as he wants to run two types of wheel but can the standard Bug drum be drilled for early Ford 5" on 5 stud stud pattern. I could go and take a drum off, measure it even but I cant be arsed. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

Tired bunny. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sleeping.gif[/img]

We would have been like a couple of monkies fucking footballs if it wasn't for Lee.
rottenpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #14
Steve

Member Photo Albums

Just an update on my wheel adapter search...

No luck so far. A lot of places just flat out said no with the only explanation being that they didn't have the tooling for something that large (the 5 lug VW).

I spoke with Fred Goeske at wheeladapter.com, he said that he couldn't do it because, again, the large 5 lug VW pattern. He said that that would require over a 9" blank and they can't get em. HOWEVER... He said that there's a new Ford truck coming out that will have a 5 on 200mm bolt pattern (the VW is 5 on 205mm). They will be getting blanks in about 6 months so they will be able to do adapters for those trucks... and that he should be able to do the VW pattern at that time as well.

I also spoke with AIM Industries and they said that they don't show that size ever being done there... so they'd have to check on it. I'm waiting on an answer from them and I'll pass on the info after I hear back.

What a pain in my ass.

Looking cool is hard. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #15
Nick
Forum Member

What I was going to do when I was to run wired rims was to make the lug holes on the rims a tad bigger (make the lug holes oblonged shaped), just enough for my standard Ford adapters to fit through the rims. I never went further then just thinking of doing that so think about it to see how safe that sounds like. Seems like there's plenty of metal to shave off on the rims themselves??

Also I think someone here (forgot whom) was going to cut the Ford rims ar the lug patterns and weld in a VW wheel section onto it.

Maybe this will spawn another idea? On my Buick rims, I'm using Chevy adapters that someone welded Chevy spacers onto it (I need wider tracks). Anyways look at the thick spacers, maybe get something THICK and get them drilled for early Fords and get a certified welder to weld that onto an adapter. Find early Ford hubs and weld them onto a VW adapter? Like I said, just ideas...

I'll place this on the lazy thread to replace the old useless thread

Old May 29th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #16
roark
Forum Member

Default Re: Wheel adapters

Does any body have any experience with Chevy (48 and earlier) six lugs by 5.5"? Some one gave me two for the back of my 69. They came with dog dish hub caps that are pre- bashed and would look really cool if I could make it work.
roark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #17
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

wow....this one is really back from the dead
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #18
UncleSlacker
Forum Member

Steve, if you still are searching and haven't found an answer... there are a couple of buckethead buddies of mine that might be able to whip up something for ya.

Lemme know and I'll direct 'em your way or vice-versa.
UncleSlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #19
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

steve found his adapters a few years ago
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #20
UncleSlacker
Forum Member

NOTE TO SELF... Don't use Ghostzilla for reading the Volksrods Forums LOL.

It's all grayed out and I can't see the dates.

Wow, this is really back from the dead. Four years? OyVey.

Oi Oi Oi
UncleSlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #21
Rat Manx
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwfanatic View Post
steve found his adapters a few years ago
OK I'll ask, I want to do this conversion myself, so were did Steve finally get his adapters and contact info please? Thanks
Rat Manx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #22
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

I'd just buy the blank drums and have them drilled rather than go through all that friggin trouble getting a weird adapter that costs a fortune. They are a lot easier to get these days and you should be able to drill an aftermarket wide 5 drum for the 5 on 5" ford with out interfering with any of the VW pattern.
I was messing with the set of wide 5's drums I have this weekend. I want to start mocking up my extender now that I've got a body that I'm willing to cut up and I need to be able to mount my chevy pattern rims since that's what I'm gonna run and I don't have any wide 5 rims. I don't want the wheels pushed out any further with the adapters. I can get my hands on a 5 on 4.75 chevy bolt ring pattern, so I may put them on the drill press and have a go at drilling them and pressing in the studs myself.
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #23
crack monkey
Capt A's super package

one of our Coalition Vendors supplied those adaptors for steve. if you are a coalition member you get 5% off. http://www.skulte.com/ they are a great adaptor. very well crafted.

and to top it off you can visit http://universaltire.com/ to get your tires... there you get 10% off if you are a Coalition member.

wow! your Coalition membership would pay for itself in less than these purchases. Might as well just start saving and sign up here http://www.volksrods.com/forum/register.php
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
crack monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #24
BattleBug
Forum Member

Seems a lot of guys missed it a couple weeks ago when we found out that Skulke isn't making the adapters anymore. Seems that he cut the business down and pretty much eliminated making any adapters. From what I understand he finished out his orders or is doing so and stopping production after that. It's in one of the threads here but I don't feel like looking for it.

Battlebug EZ Bake Oval 65 Daily
BattleBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #25
grumpy
Mr. Asshole Moderator

the bank drums are great for the "small" patterns, 4.5 and 4.75 but the 5.5 and 5.75, not sure there is around material for it to be safe. enter the high $ adapters. keep that in mind.

Tags
ford wire wheels, wheel adapter, wire wheel