Total Online: 481

Newest Member: jessup

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Old November 4th, 2005, 06:26 AM   #1
whitelightning
Forum Member

whats the most emabrassing things that happened while driving your volkswagen?heres one for me:

i was going to work last night and i was at the light and soon as it turned green i went to hit the gas and nothing happened soo i finally noticed the engine wasnt running soo i had to hit my 4 way flashers and tried to start it and it would only turn over soo once the cars went by i pushed the bug over into the neighborhood where my friend lives soo then i called my mom and told her it was acting up then a idea poped up soo i opened the hood and noticed a damn wire for the coil came off soo i plugged it in and she fired right up soo i drove to work.

another one:was learning on a bug and was at a stop sign in my neighborhood and i stalled out 10 times at one spot and found out she was in 3rd gear.
whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #2
StinkEye
Forum Member

Drove off with the fuel pump still plugged into the side of my truck. Then once again in my wife's car.
StinkEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 06:46 AM   #3
BrokenBeetle66
Forum Member

not too many stories with my bug...but when I first started drving it I didnt know you couldnt push down on the pedal a lot (my carb sucked, so it would cause the engine to spit and sputter)....so I was trying to get home one day, and I wound up driving down the road for a good mile or so with this car backfiring the whole way. Some lady gave me this look like she was getting ready to dive out of the way in case my car exploded!

The sad part is....I dont blame her It was quite embarrassing...felt like I was driving a real jalopy

~Rob

1966 Bug (Resto - Custom / Volksrod)
1994 Geo Metro "Molly"
1992 Jeep Comanche pickup

Some random, yet hilarious things I heard about Chuck Norris on a radio station:
"There is no Theory of Evolution, just a list of plants and animals that Chuck Norris allows to live"
"Guns dont kill people, Chuck Norris kills people"
"The US is not a democracy, it's a Chucktatorship"
BrokenBeetle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #4
cybernotchback
Forum Member

I was entering the FDR heading towards the G. Washington Bridge, when my Beetle just quit. Would turn over, but wouldn't fire. I coasted to a stop at the end of the ramp. I got out popped the engine lid, but because it was dark, I couldn't seen anything. Had the car towed, to the West Side , ($70). Walked around NYC for a few hours, stayed overnight at a friends apartment. Went home got ignition parts, then back down to NYC. Started to replace the points and realized the + wire to the coil had fallen off

Once while in my Ghia, (the really rusty '71 I had) at a light I wasn't paying attention, and I rolled into the car in front of me. It was such a light kiss of their bumper that I hardly noticed. My foot was on the brakes, and I wasn't in gear, but gravity worked

Same car, I had the grouund strap come off while stopped at a light, (on a busy local route), the worse part was the car stalled. This had been happening before, so I knew what it was, and quickly reinstalled the cable, and was on my way. Would have been smarter to have just replaced the cable with one that fit better. Stupid kid..... This was 20+ years ago.
cybernotchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #5
BIG BAD BUG
Forum Member

Doing some off roading whilst on a camping trip, I was in my baja and a mate was following me in his... We were giving them a bit of stick, throwing the cars around down a loose pea gravel road that really wasn't designed to be travelled at the speeds we were doing...
I came sideways around a bit of a blind corner on full song, (almost lifting the front inside wheel my mate told me), only to realize that I was Suddenly in a CAR PARK heading sideways for the tourist infomation board with a bus load of tourists DIVING in ALL directions to get out of the way...!!!!
Slammed the car sideways into a post, not too hard fortunatly, but dented the rear quarter panel, (still have that dent there as a trophy/reminder), missed all the tourists, (The young ones thought it was an Absolute RIOT of fun), two of them were young Germans guys who all but gave us the Adolf Salute as they clapped and cheered...
My mate rounded the corner in a much more sedate fashion, stopped his car and FELL OUT on the ground Laughing at what he had just seen....!!!
Took him 10 minutes to shut up and get off the dirt....!!!

Ahhhhh those were the days...
Thanks for reminding me..
~We'll get you kicked outta your house.
BIG BAD BUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #6
Nick
Forum Member

Driving down the road then all of a sudden my engine becomes really loud. I pull over and found out my headers fell off (hit the drive way one too many times and broke off).

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #7
ddare
Forum Member

I was fiddling around with my car during noon chow trying to figure out why it was only running on 3 cylinders (didn't find it out then, but turned out to be a combination of loose head and balance tube too small). Anyway, I get called up by the company gunny telling me to come supervise some BS working party. So I pick up all my tools, put them away, close the engine lid and call it done.

Well I got off work later after supervising that working party, and I'm trying to drive home, but the car won't go over 45!! I was like WTF did I do this time (I had been adjusting my carbs, figured I had leaned it out wayyy too much or something). Now, I was still wearing my cammies, and home is a 30 mile drive from base, and I didn't want to pull over and get my ass handed to me by some hard charging SNCO for working on my car in uniform, so I just coast all the way home. At 45 mph. I finally get to Yucca Valley after an hour or so, just in time to see my local VW shop closing up. I hit the guy up, say hey can you check this out real quick, I dno't know what I did.

Anyway, he pulls up the engine lid and noticed that in my rush I forgot to reconnect two of the spark plug wires. *DOH!*

-----

I was fooling around racing some friends in my first car, a '78 El Camino, and I was going to put it into neutral (it was an auto) and rev it real quick and put it back into drive, but I slid the gear shifter down two instead of one and put it into reverse going 75. Big grinding/clank noise and the car died completely. Anyway, I got a jump and it started right back up. All my gears still worked too, but definitely made me nervous : )
ddare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #8
herbiebaja
Forum Member

the time when i was driving my baja and run myself over.we will leave it at that.
herbiebaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #9
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

my hubby told me, "it's impossible to stall a bug"

yeah right,,, I stalled his more than once the first time I drove it. well, it had also been many years since I had driven a std..............
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #10
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

This guy in town always wants to run me, so one night at the light headed out of town there we were. I pumped the throtle a few times to clear out the stinger. The light turned green and I planted it, but nothing happened. When I had pumped the throtle, the peddle got wedged between the roller and throtle lever. So I poped it up with my toe, nailed it again, and still cought him. Who won? It was to close to call, but catching him after that made him not want to race my VW again. Now he sticks to racing ricers.
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #11
johnintulsa
Forum Member

If anyone is familiar with fuel injected AC beetles, you know there is a slider that goes across contacts to increase the amount of fuel to the engine. Well, my '76 had about 1/3 of these contacts that actually worked. It would buck and shudder in between the working contacts. I took my mom to church one night and almost made her sick on the way there.

Same car, different day. My sister and I were leaving the house to follow my parents somewhere and I couldnt turn the key all the way, it took me 5 minutes to figure out that I had to have the wheels turned. My parents actually turned around and came back to check on us.

My buddy bought the car and immediately put carbs on it.
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #12
ConductorX
Forum Member

I pulled away from a red light in my '66. The seat broke and I flipped over into the back seat.
No one ever says "It's only a game." when his team is winning.
ConductorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #13
amrcnbadaz
Forum Member

While driving my baja on 36's i heard a loud pop and the car went to running like shit. I pulled into a hotel parking lot right after it happened. It had thrown a rod and was still running! And for some reason the workers at the hotel were pissed because it was dumping oil all over the parking lot they had just gotten sealed! OOPS!!
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 1 2006, 06:05 PM)

That bike makes my scrotum cry...
Quote:
QUOTE Steve Jan 26, 2008

If one of my buddies pulled into my driveway and got out of that, I'd punch him right in the colon.

That thing looks like a blue clitoris.
amrcnbadaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #14
tequilla
Forum Member

Back in the days when I used to smoke I flipped my ashes out the window. Without my knowledge the wind blew the burning ashes back in. I was driving along checking all my gauges to find out the cause of a burning smell. I figured it out when I realized my shirt was on fire

'67 Baja

'63 T-Bird

Devils Plaything

Share your cheese....... here kitty, kitty.......
tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #15
vw56ovalchick
Forum Member

Mine was just this last summer, I went to pick up my bug from my friends house where he has been working on it for me. He said yeah its done its running great. So my mom drove me over to get it and luckly she decided to follow me home. About a mile from his house at one of the busiest intersections in my town it died I was in the turn lane about half way back and it was completly dead. I open the decklid to find that there was so gas making its way back to the engine. So without hazard lights lol because my car doesnt have them cause its so old I am stuck atleast my mom was behind me. So I had to wait for a tow truck for 20 minutes and then watch the tow truck driver tie it down for 15 minutes because it doesnt have bumpers and the e brake didnt work at that point and even while in gear it would roll. So after 15 minutes of listening to the tow truck driver cuss at my car. He seriously drove like 25 mph the whole way to my house. This tow truck driver was being a ass anyways then it was funny because a guy pulled up next to us and was yelling say what year is it. I have a 57 at home, the tow truck driver started yelling at him to shut up and keep driving.

So I got it fixed that time and then about a month later I went up to fill it up with gas before going to one of our local weekly shows and started up great at home drove great to the gas station filled it up and then went to leave and nothing completly dead, the ignition went out. So I was trying to push it out of the gas area by my self which was tricky because my car is hard to steer anyways so these nice guys helped me push it out of the way so my dad could come tow my ass home. lol The best part about that story was it was about 85 degrees outside and the gas station I went to was just accross the street from the starbucks I always go to, one of the girls that works at starbucks made my normal drink and had her boyfriend bring it over to me.
vw56ovalchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #16
TeamEvil/TC
Forum Member

On the way to Litchfield this past Summer, we're driving in a caravan and moving right along. I have to REALLY piss and there's no stopping in sight.

Out comes the Mr. BIG drink cup, out HE comes and I start pissing away . . . . turns out that my dick isn't long enough to clear the zipper, so now I'M soaked, my PANTS are soaked, the SEAT—a bare/unpadded fiberglass bucket—is puddled with piss, I'm SITTING in it, and we're almost there!

Classic me . . .
TeamEvil/TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #17
BIG BAD BUG
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ConductorX@Nov 4 2005, 09:35 AM
I pulled away from a red light in my '66.  The seat broke and I flipped over into the back seat.   

ROFLMFAO....!!!!!!!!!!!!

TeamEvil/TC..... That's just horrible.....
~We'll get you kicked outta your house.
BIG BAD BUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #18
PureC4
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by TeamEvil/TC@Nov 4 2005, 10:12 AM
On the way to Litchfield this past Summer, we're driving in a caravan and moving right along. I have to REALLY piss and there's no stopping in sight.

Out comes the Mr. BIG drink cup, out HE comes and I start pissing away . . . . turns out that my dick isn't long enough to clear the zipper, so now I'M soaked, my PANTS are soaked, the SEAT—a bare/unpadded fiberglass bucket—is puddled with piss, I'm SITTING in it, and we're almost there!

Classic me . . .
Don't believe I'd told that.....

We lust for what we want, and weep for what we need!
PureC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #19
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Yes, I think we have a winner . . . .

And thanks to all the others for their entries.
Old November 4th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #20
hotrodheb

Let's see...

I was driving my '72 home from JC, came around a corner and it died. I coasted into a parking lot, got out and saw flames coming from my engine compartment! The wiring for the reverse lights behind the shroud had shorted out and caught the wiring insulation on fire. I did not have a fire extinguisher, so I literally blew the fire out. I yanked the bad wires out, started it up and drove home!

I was driving my '72 to JC one day and I started hearing a grinding/clunking noise from the front wheel. I pulled over, popped the hubcap off and two lugs came off with it! Oh and the other two were loose! Of course I did not have a lug wrench with me (Who needs one when you don't have a spare tire?!?!) So I put them back in and tightened it as much as I could by hand and started driving back home. Luckily it was only about 2 miles, but I had to stop three more times!

This one time, at band camp....

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #21
Mad Irishman
Forum Member

OK- I have a few vw stories-

I had a 1985 VW quantum wagon. One night Iam rollin thru town back in , oh , 95' and the poor car needed new front struts and I was too poor to get them. Every time you drove the car the front end would bounce up and down pretty good. It looked pretty funny coming down the road at night with the headlights panning from pavement to trees. One night I had a guy at a stop light ask me " How many switches you got in that thing?'

One night in the same car, I heard this loud noise like someone shot my car. After the noise I noticed it was a bit louder than normal so I pulled over to see if my exaust was still attached everywhere it should be. It was too dark so I got back in the car and started driving again. I went to get up on the highway and I couldnt get it over 35 and I was getting passed by lots of angry people. I drove it all the way to my friends shop at 11 pm in 3rd gear so I could keep it up around 45mph. I got to the airport( his shop was in an old airplane hanger at the county airport) and we realized that somehow one of the sparkplugs had tried to shoot itself to the moon. We found it sitting on the engine so we helicoiled that sucker and put it back in.

While working on that quantum, I decided it was time to change the belts, I went to the store and the guy asked if it was a 4 or a 6. I said 4 and took my belts home. They didnt fit. I thought, well, foreign car, book could be wrong. I worked in my uncles carquest for quite awhile and trust me , those books werent very accurate the more odd a model of car it was. I went back and I said it must a mistake, these dont fit. He checked and cross referenced and still it was the same part. I said , ok, my bad, must be a 6......hmmmm thought it was a 4. I took those belts home, they didnt fit. I went back , same routine..... finally the guy was go outside and count'em. OK, I went out and counted. 1,2,3,4,5.....that cant be right, I screwed up. 1,2,3,4,5.....1,2,3,4,5.......what the hell? is that some other wire I am not familiar with, crazy german car.... 1,2,3,4,5....I must be missin 6 where is 6? maybe I cant see it from up here* crawled under car* nothin...... called the vw dealership 100 miles away in Indianapolis......" It's a five cylinder." " no really, what is it" " seriously, its a five cylynder" " ok.......thanks......bye" I have never heard of a 5 cylinder before that car, it wasnt even listed in any of the parts books. We took off the belts and measured them to get the sizes right. Great way to waste about 5 hours of daylight.........Duh. :mad:
Mad Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #22
Redman76
Forum Member

so i was driving from Tacoma WA to Allentown PA. my girlfriend was flying and asked how long i thought it would take. i said "couple of days". well i had never driven that far in my life. so she bet me and naturally i accepted. once i hit the 800 mile stretch of Montana i knew it wasnt going to be easy. so im buying coffee and no doze like its going out of style. im on my 25th hour of driving and i need gas bad. im somewhere in North Dakota and i stop off at this mom and pop place. just as i swing around to the diesel pump what pulls up but a car full of young ladies all giggling and doing what ever young ladies from North Dakota do at a gas station

so i shut the truck down and jump out thinking the chicks would think im cool or something if they see me and my big old truck. little did i realize that about a hundred miles back when one of my many cups of coffee had worked its way through me and i decided to keep on going and pulled the old "piss bottle" trick, i had forgotten to button my pants. so as my "bad ass" jumped out of my 'bad ass truck" my "bad ass pants" fell to my "bad ass ankles"

needless to say the chicks were not impressed with either me or the truck

some of lifes lessons hurt more than others.....

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6734
Redman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #23
Griznant
Forum Member

Bug related:

I bought a '73 standard a few years ago for a decent price, but it had typical midwestern rot throughout it. It had been "patched" up, but not very well. I got it running, put on some decent rims and tires I had lying around along with some new trim and cleaned up the paint. Looked pretty damned good, and ran alright to boot.

I decided to take my wife out in it to the Cracker Barrel, which involved us driving about 7 miles on I-94. We're cruising along at 75-80mph and the following conversation takes place:

Wife: What do I see under my seat?
Me: What?
Wife: That thing that keeps flashing by, what is that?
Me (looking down): Oh, those are the the expansion joints in the road.
Wife: You park this piece of shit and fix it, I'm not riding in this anymore.

And I did, and she hasn't. The chassis is rebuilt, but the body is still in process.

Grant
Griznant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #24
fishguts
Forum Member

I had my front tire off (69 Bug) and was hunched under the fender when my jack fell over and the car settled down on my shoulders, pinning me there in a crouched position. So I think, "Great...does this look stupid or what? Now what do I do?" It occurred to me that the front of a VW couldn't weigh all that much and I'm a big galoot, so I just started standing up and grabbed the jack with one hand and put it back under the car. Glad nobody was watching.
Old November 4th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #25
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

While living in Slidell Louisianna me and the guys would take the cars out to a place called Dixie Ranch. It's a couple hundred acres of land that all the 4x4's would go mudding and such. Well we took my baja bug out there to see what it would do. After romping around in the mud and deep ruts my brother spotted a hill about 5' tall and around 10' wide. "Hey, go over that" he says. So I drove over it slowly to check it out. It wasn't a big deal. He then wanted to get out and watch me drive over it. I dropped him off turned around and decided fuck it. I slammed the car into first, hit second and just at the bottom of the hill nailed third. I hit that thing at 35 mph flew about 15 feet with my head sticking out of the roll cage and the seat still attached to my ass (it wasn't bolted down). I came down hard on the front end and when I was finally able to regain control I realized the car wouldn't move forward. I had bent a tie rod so bad that the wheels were now pointing to 10:00 and 2:00. :eek:
Of course it's starting to get dark, we can see lightning in the distance, the mosquito's are coming out in full force and we are miles away from the nearest phone (1985- pre cell phone era). I pulled the hood off, climbed inside the front end and started jumping on the tie rod out of frustration. Wouildn't you know it, it worked. We got the wheels pointed close to normal as possible and hauled ass home. Of course we were out there the very next weekend but we stuck to the mud and 4x4 ruts. ........Tim
Turbo Punk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
popular thread