Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,473
Threads: 32,236
Total Online: 502

Newest Member: THarr

Latest Threads
- by yimbo
- by JiI

Closed Thread

Old February 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

So you want the fenderless look, but not the big ball joint style fender wells. Here's how you take care of them. I'm not much of a writer, but here we go.

This is the area that you will need to remove. You will need to cut around the weld for the upper foot well. Then you also need to cut the outer side of the fender well where it transitions into the fender mount area of the outer skin as marked below...

Now it's time to cut. I used an air die grinder and 3" cut off wheels. I also cut around the hood spring mount that was on the fendes so that I could reuse it. There are a few spot welds that I simply ground off once the rest of the fender well was removed. And here is what you should get...

Now you will need to get two rear fenders. You will be using the right rear on the felt front and so forth. I used the old fenders from my '73 super, but I would recomend using an earlier set due to some issues that I encountered in the tail light area. But having said that, the '73 fenders worked out great. You will need to trim off some of the excess fender. Mine were trimmed off just above the tail light hump.

(pic's did not turn out).

Hold the fender up to the cut away fender well, mark the out line of the patch piece, and make a few pie cuts. Now you can cut out the patch and begin to weld it in place. I started at the pinch weld area. Keep in mind that the metal for the fender patch is thinner than the welded section of the dash and old fender well. Working slowly, tack weld the patch in place. I opted to let the outer edge run long and trim it after final welds were in place.

With the fender Fully welded, I then removed the excess patch fender material and worked over the outer edge of the fender well. I still need to weld over the fender mount body nuts, and apply a coat of mud, but there is alot more to get done before it's Bondo time.

Old February 5th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #2
hotrodheb

Nice work Ray-Dean!

I just added this to the "too lazy for search thread!"

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

Old February 5th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #3
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Congrats on your Crazy Bastard of the Month Award. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/clapping.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old March 13th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #4
PureC4
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray-Dean @ Feb 5 2006, 09:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
So you want the fenderless look, but not the big ball joint style fender wells. Here's how you take care of them. I'm not much of a writer, but here we go.

This is the area that you will need to remove. You will need to cut around the weld for the upper foot well. Then you also need to cut the outer side of the fender well where it transitions into the fender mount area of the outer skin as marked below...

Now it's time to cut. I used an air die grinder and 3" cut off wheels. I also cut around the hood spring mount that was on the fendes so that I could reuse it. There are a few spot welds that I simply ground off once the rest of the fender well was removed. And here is what you should get...

Now you will need to get two rear fenders. You will be using the right rear on the felt front and so forth. I used the old fenders from my '73 super, but I would recomend using an earlier set due to some issues that I encountered in the tail light area. But having said that, the '73 fenders worked out great. You will need to trim off some of the excess fender. Mine were trimmed off just above the tail light hump.

(pic's did not turn out).

Hold the fender up to the cut away fender well, mark the out line of the patch piece, and make a few pie cuts. Now you can cut out the patch and begin to weld it in place. I started at the pinch weld area. Keep in mind that the metal for the fender patch is thinner than the welded section of the dash and old fender well. Working slowly, tack weld the patch in place. I opted to let the outer edge run long and trim it after final welds were in place.

With the fender Fully welded, I then removed the excess patch fender material and worked over the outer edge of the fender well. I still need to weld over the fender mount body nuts, and apply a coat of mud, but there is alot more to get done before it's Bondo time.

[/b][/quote]

Ray....Where did your pictures go [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

Edit~5/19/2013
PureC4 re-arranged his photobucket a while back and all links are gone. Please use the info along with other members info and come up with your own instructions and make it unique.
It's what we do here, be unique~

We lust for what we want, and weep for what we need!
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #5
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Sorry, I had to rework my photobucket. I'll fix it.

There you go. They should be back now.
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #6
crack monkey
Capt A's super package

looks great ray!!!
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Old March 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #7
texbug
Forum Member

Lookin good ray keep the pointers coming . [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #8
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: tech: smooth front fender wells

The finished piece.
If I come across more pics I will add them~
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #9
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: tech: smooth front fender wells

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showp...28&postcount=3
Here's another fine example of smooth fenders By Whozawhat
Originally Posted by fishguts
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
Closed Thread